Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Getting Comfortable

I read a friends blog and was inspired to write one of my own. The subject matter is the same. It concerns how people change over time. You know, how a person that may have been carefree and jovial in their youth has become sour and depressed. Or the wall flower that blossomed. We all change over time. Or do we ?
I'm thinking that perhaps it is just that we become comfortable with ourselves. When we no longer try to fit in, or impress. When we can finally begin to shed our skins so to speak.
I believe our personalities are well formed by the time we reach our teenage years. Our basic core values and beliefs are there. However, in our early years we often disguise them. Be it a lack of confidence or a reluctance to buck popular trends we sometimes don't reveal ourselves. Some behaviors may not appear manly or feminine enough. After a certain age it begins to go away. For everyone that happens at a different time and never happens at all for a few.
There are certain activities that I enjoy now, that I would have been reluctant to share back in the day. Writing poetry for one. Doing some sewing projects is another example. I've heard that described as " getting in touch with your feminine side " but that's bull hockey ! Nothing feminine about me and never will be. Still, I enjoy what I enjoy. Being sensitive and understanding is another description I would have been mortified to have been associated with. Today not so much.
Yes I'm thinking once you strip away the facade the real you emerges. You just become comfortable. Like a good pair of shoes you have been walked in,on and through just about everything. Some of the stuff sticks and some you just scrape off. You may become a little scuffed and dull.
Of course there is always the possibility that my fellow blogger is correct. You might just get run down and worn out. Past comfortable and into the worn out region. It's a fine line.

1 comment:

  1. Well that may be true to some extent but I have one friend who was in a marriage where her husband was verbally abusive and I saw a person who was once self-assured and full of life become a woman with no self-confidence and who rarely smiles. I know how she started and I don't think her change has anything to do with a facade. I think the truth is both things are true - some change in a normal, comfortable fashion but others are changed by their circumstances and experiences. Don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete