Saturday, March 10, 2012

On the Shelf

I've been thinking about closing the book on the family tree. I have been working on that project for years now and I'm finally satisfied. I have discovered the who,and where of my ancestors. Many were unknown to the family. There are still a few mysteries to be solved but I feel like I've exhausted my resources. In one sense I hate to leave the job undone but in another I can rest with what I have accomplished.
The only real question remaining is what to do with the data I have collected. The list of names and relationships is extensive. The number of photographs are as well. I have collected stories and anecdotes. It is all available online. It is recorded in standard genealogists format. It is informative but not a very entertaining format. The standard tree thing. I would like to present it in way that may be more entertaining. I don't know what that would be exactly,but I'll have to think on that. I realize that not everyone finds this subject as fascinating as I do. Most just have a passing fancy. It is fun to know who your direct ancestors were or anyone of fame that is in your family. Beyond that I have found most have little interest.
I'm thinking I'll close the book on my tree. But now I'm thinking I need to start a new chapter. Perhaps I could show the relationship my family members had to the community at large. Fortunately the community where most resided was a small community. And mostly confined to a small geographic area. It has only been in later years,after World War Two, that they spread to other regions. That may prove interesting to a larger audience. I'll have to think about that.
My most immediate need however is how to save the data I already have. I could just do a digital download. That is fairly inexpensive and quite straightforward. The only problem with that is that you would have to have the program to read the data. I have the program of course, but others would not. It is not like it is Adobe Acrobat or anything, it is a specific program. To have the whole thing printed would be quite a large expense.
It is saved online and I'll have to go with that for now.
The bottom line here is this, I'm thinking about closing the book but really want something tangible before I do. I want to hold all that work and research in my hands. The satisfaction of having it all in print. That would make it permanent. I want it all to be just sitting there on the shelf ready to be read or browsed by anyone at anytime. Knowledge, of any kind, does little good if not accessible. And the ease of accessibility is very important. The Internet has been a blessing in that regard, that can't be denied. But for me, a book on the shelf is still preferred. 

1 comment:

  1. Ben, I have hand-WRITTEN our information on charts which are available to buy at Michael's or Hobby Lobby craft stores in the scrapbook section. They also have some that are entitled "family stories" where you can fill the lines with a story about whoever you choose. Some of these papers come with spaces to place photos, as well as info. They are colored tan and brown with such soft prints on them that you can read what you've written without any interference from the pattern. Then, I place them into page protectors and loose leaf binders made to fit the size paper (12 x12") That way, you can set them up in generational order, add to the family photos or info when you get new tidbits. I like the way it looks and it's there for the looking! You could also upload your info to cds...but my fear with that is, technology keeps changing and what happens when cds are 'old hat'? Will we be able to see them then? Probably for awhile, but not forever, like a book on the shelf. Let me know how you handle this dilemna.

    ReplyDelete