Tuesday, July 16, 2024

20th century thinking

  I realize I'm out of the loop on many things. One of those would be kids in grade school or high school. I was listening to the news about the problem of having cell phones in the classroom. Apparently, that happens even in elementary school classes. There is some debate, some discussion about banning that. I suppose I'm just old and outdated but it would seem to me the discussion should be about allowing them. As I remember things we were told what we could and could not do or bring to class. If that was a problem, it was discussed later on. When I was a senior in high school Texas Instruments made the pocket calculator available to everyone. We were immediately told no calculators in the classroom! Of course, we were still using the Dewey decimal system in place of goggle. But my point is things were banned first, allowed later. Things like the girls wearing slacks or the guys having heel taps on your shoes. Tee shirts were not outerwear at that time, at least not in the classroom. 
 Another story about school caught my attention. The Baltimore city school system has hired a new superintendent. This lady has extensive experience and is credited with turning at least one system around. The Baltimore school system sure could use some help. She was talking about how studies have shown that the third grade is the most important grade for reading comprehension. She is proposing that the students must pass the proficiency examination for that skill before being advanced to the fourth grade. I said to myself, wait, what? You currently don't have to pass the test to advance to the next grade. That seems to be the case. They even had someone arguing that they shouldn't have to pass that exam to advance because it was discriminatory. I'm not sure just who was being discriminated against by that requirement, but some students supposedly are. 
 Like I said I'm not in the loop on a great deal of this. I realize my thoughts and ideas are so twentieth century. I started feeling like things were a bit skewed when I kept seeing where students were graduating with a 4.3 or higher gpa, when I know that 4.0 is a perfect score. I also became somewhat skeptical when I saw my own grandson and granddaughter taking college level classes at the same time they were taking their regular classes. Silly me, I always thought you had to complete one to build upon it. Turns out I can do my college classes at the same time as my high school classes. Now I'm not saying it isn't possible, obviously it is being done, but it leaves me questioning the quality of that education. There is always the question of maturity to consider. And that is something I believe is being overlooked a great deal. They are still just kids. I know, twentieth century thinking.
 I'm so old I believe that getting an education means you have to actually learn the subject. That is the objective, not the degree. Somewhere along the line however that has been set aside. All I hear today is, get the degree. You can get it at a real school or a virtual school. You can simply purchase one on the internet if you want too! Pick the school, the degree you want and with a few clicks, you are good to go. And yes, it happens. And that takes me back to the discussion I heard on the television. Should those children have to be able to read at a third-grade level in order to pass the third grade? It's quite the controversary. 
  I'm also hearing a great deal about our colleges and universities indoctrinating the students in political ideologies. I never attended a college or university. For that reason, I really can't say what they are teaching or talking about. The perception I have is that those attending those institutions tend to lean toward the liberal side of things. I'm not surprised by that. They are young people after all, full of ideas, dreams, hopes, and over eighteen, they know it all. Whatever is new and different must be better than what mom and dad are saying. All I can say is with all the teachers and instructors I had over the years I never knew their political positions. As a general rule I didn't know the political leanings of my co-workers either. It wasn't something discussed in the workplace. If I found out about that it was usually over a beer at the corner bar. Are the colleges and universities really indoctrinating those students? I don't know. 
  Well, like I said I'm so old that I believe you go to school to actually learn about the subject. If you are interested in math, you learn about math. Yes, it is a good thing to have a rounded education, be informed and aware of the world around you. Still, the "degree" you are seeking should be what sparked your interest in obtaining that education. This notion of "getting a degree" and that will ensure success and a great income is a fallacy. You are being sold the proverbial bill of goods. How does that work? They are just kids, that's how. Selling the dream. Our institutions of higher learning devote far more time and effort in attracting "customers" than they do scholars. You really don't have to pass the test, just pay the bill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment