Friday, December 17, 2021

time marches on

  I was remembering when most businesses handed out calendars this time of year. I haven't gone looking for any and being retired I'm no longer in business. I was telling my wife about the calendars that was given out in the industrial world. That was when I was working in the machine/maintenance shop of a company that manufactured road flares. The salesman from various suppliers would bring calendars with scantily clad models on them. The models would be working on machinery or otherwise using the product. I don't remember the year but that all stopped. After that the calendars just showed the product or some "pretty" scenery, something totally innocuous. 
  In talking about that my wife says, they were like pin-up girls. Well, yes I suppose they were, just a bit racier than that though. The pin up girls I remember from my youth wore more clothing, although they were certainly thought of as, risqué. The ladies feigned indignation and disgust, while the men, at least among themselves, made crude comments. It really was quite juvenile judged against these more modern times. I recall a particular gas station in my hometown that had the men's room wallpapered with the centerfold from Playboy magazines! Now, I know that for a fact because I had to use that restroom at least on one occasion, maybe even twice! Imagine the lawsuit today. 
 The last free calendar I remember getting was from the local pharmacy. Could be she still hands them out, as I said, I haven't checked. I didn't see any on the counter the last time I was in there though. I have a calendar hanging on the wall. I will say I rarely look at it and most times the month isn't correct. Today the computer and our phones have replaced them I suppose. I did buy a desk calendar to keep track of doctors appts. Yes, between my wife and I we have enough of those to require a calendar! Strange, isn't it? The healthier you are, the more appts you have. Annuals, follow ups, and exploratory. The latter being when the doctor needs to find some other reason to have you see him. Like a mechanic that fixes your car, there is always something else that needs attention.
  I would imagine there are those that collect calendars. It would be cool to have a few from the old days, the old businesses. I certainly never gave that a thought growing up. Of course I remember when they advertised art school on matchbook covers. Remember that? Can you draw that pirate? I never tried it, but always suspected that I would be accepted to that school, that they would assure me I had talent! Yeah, and the matches were free. All that was a long time ago. Times change and business has to keep up. Not much free these days. I'll have to keep an eye out for a calendar. I was at the bank just the other day and wasn't offered one, not sure that they have them. Maybe I'll go check the local appliance store, Grey's Gas, been on main street for fifty years. Surely they have calendars, or I'm betting they did have them in years past. 
 Well, 2022 is close upon us now, better get your calendars soon. And no, printing your own doesn't count. I admit I did that a few times when I first got a computer, didn't save those calendars either. I should have, they would be twenty years old now. Antique, collectibles, LOL. Time marches on.

No comments:

Post a Comment