Tuesday, December 14, 2021

gifting

  You receive gifts prior to Christmas, either through the mail or some other way. Do you open them? Be honest now, how many of you folks' peek, shake, rattle or just downright open them up before Christmas morning? Well, that's for you that traditionally open on Christmas morning I have heard of some doing that on Christmas eve. Do you wait? If you do not wait, will you lie about it if asked? I'll be completely honest here, I always wait until Christmas morning to open any gift. Now understand I do have to pick it up and carefully place it beneath the tree. That process may require some inspection, you know, for safety. Generally testing the weight, shaking it for anything loose, and looking for any possible rips or tears in the wrapping paper will suffice. You do wrap those gifts before mailing them, don't you? 
  Is that something you think about after having mailed your gifts? Does it matter to you? I would like the person to wait. In that way I am assured they will think about me on Christmas morning. At least my name will be mentioned if they read the gift tag. You do read the gift tag don't you? I should hope so. Now with kids, I don't expect them to look at the tag beyond their own name. With juveniles and young adults I expect them to look, although they may not retain the information. Which leads to me another question, how do you unwrap your gifts? Do you just rip the paper off or carefully remove it? I tend to unwrap my gifts in a controlled fashion, opening them at the folds. Not sure why that is because once the paper is removed, I just ball it up and toss it. 
 Speaking of wrapping gifts how important is the wrapping to you? What I mean is, are you particular about the paper, the stuff from the dollar store or the Hallmark holiday wrap par excellence? Do you use ribbon and bows? For me it all depends upon what is being wrapped and to whom that gift is being given. I don't waste a lot of money of paper, I buy the cheap stuff and use that on 90% of the presents. The other 10% may be treated to a higher grade of paper, along with ribbon. The bows are always the ones you just buy in a bag! A bag of bows, this year they were three dollars! In years past I used to get them for a dollar, inflation, I guess. I seldom use ribbon. I do like to wrap a few gifts extra special, the ones I think deserve special treatment. That's not because they are the most expensive, it's because I think the gift itself is special is some way. I usually will wrap a gift or two in a foolish way or make it difficult to unwrap. That's usually with the grandkids, although I used to do that to my own. You know, boxes inside other boxes, ribbon tied in knots, tape on every seam, whatever gag I think of at the time. Yeah, it's hilarious every time. In the last few years I have gotten a bit lazy and taken to using bags. Hey you can buy a bag at the dollar store, drop the gift inside and bang, all done! To me it is the equivalent of giving a gift card, quick, easy, and requires very little effort or thought. HERE, Merry Christmas.
  When I was little I would get presents from Santa. That is what was written on the card. I got gifts from Santa until I was 17 years old and left home for the first time. After joining the Navy Santa never gave me a thing! But I guess it would be difficult for him to know where everybody was, you would think he has a list for that, but apparently not. But we're still friends and I speak to him whenever our paths cross. I wasn't required to write a thank you note for any Christmas gift. Birthday presents were different, I was expected to thank the person, in person or by a note. You know, thinking back I don't believe I ever thanked Santa for a thing! Maybe that's why he stopped giving me stuff. Hadn't thought about that till now. Hmm, live and learn. 
  The whole gift giving thing is so stressful though. I do feel an obligation. As I mentioned the gift card thing seems like a cop out to me. It requires no thought, no effort on your part, just money. Gifts are supposed to be thoughtful things tailored to the individual. That's the reason Santa asks for a list, he doesn't know you! The only thing he knows is whether you deserve a gift or not. Yeah, that's the way it was when I was a kid. You were either good or bad! No excuses, no reprieves, no my feelings are hurt. You either deserved gifts based on your behavior, or you didn't! Santa was judgmental! He didn't know what you wanted but he knew how you acted, FOR A WHOLE YEAR! I started to be reminded of that right after Thanksgiving Day. Never occurred to me that Santa was basically stalking me. A little creepy when you think about it.
  Well, with the exception of a few more gifts to wrap, and last minute gifts to buy, I'm all done this year. I'm saying it is the earliest I have ever been done. I'm chalking that up to maturity and personal growth. I have become a responsible adult. Not so responsible I will save wrapping paper to use over next year, or even recycle that paper, but pretty darn responsible, nonetheless. Ten days till Christmas morning.       

No comments:

Post a Comment