Sunday, December 19, 2021

reserved?

  I was scrolling down my page when I saw an advertisement, that's what I would call it, for attending church. Now, this church is the one I was baptized in, made my first communion in, and attended until I left for the Navy. I have many wonderful memories of that house of worship and the people I went there with. Reverend Davis was the rector in those days, with an occasional helper, not sure of their titles. My sister was married in that church. Yes, lots of memories there. 
 In that advertisement there was a list of services, along with the times, covering the Christmas season. The thing that caught my eye however was this statement; if you want to attend in person you have to make a reservation. I caught my breath, wait, what, I have to make a reservation? Perhaps I shouldn't have but my immediate reaction was to leave a comment stating that and pointing out I was taught Jesus had already done that for me. This morning I received a rather snarky reply, from the church, or at least from whomever monitors their Facebook page. Yes, I replied to that as well.
 Okay, so I'm taking a step back here. Now I freely admit I haven't attended any church services on a regular basis in a good many years. I am also aware that this whole Covid thing did force some churches to close their doors. In person worship services have been restricted and downright banned by government authorities. And that is something I have bristled at since I first heard about that. But this is the first time I've heard of having to make a reservation and so was taken somewhat aback. Is that because of Covid restrictions, is it because of seating capacity, is it because of the fire marshal. Would I be turned away at the door? That is the thought that entered my mind. If I would be, what a sad state of affairs that would be. In having to have a reservation isn't that the implication. No reservation, no seat for you, no entry! That's what happens at restaurants and the theater. Never did I think I would need a reservation to attend a church service.
 I suppose I'm overreacting a bit, as I am prone to do when confronted. The reason I wouldn't make a very good Police officer or public relations man. I guess, by now, this whole reservation thing is common place in the church. I've seen the live streaming of worship services and I can see where some may enjoy that, a more relaxed way of worship, very convenient, I'm sure. And you have to keep up with the times and all of that. Certainly, a way to stay in touch with the community and a necessity. I tried watching a service once and just couldn't do it. It had absolutely no personal contact, no feeling for me, like watching a television show. It came across as entertainment. Lacking interpersonal emotional contact. Yes, it left me flat.
 I wrote about finding a church several years ago. What I was looking for, was home. I have discovered that it doesn't exist anymore, at least not for me. I went to a couple and didn't make a connection. Some seemed too theatrical for my taste and others too closed. By that I mean I felt like I was intruding. As a result, I have not found a home. And by most accounts I have read about changes in Church policy and doctrine, I wouldn't be very pleased at all. I get it, the business of salvation, like any other, has to stay current, in order to attract new business. But, making a reservation? Just seems a bit too much for me, regardless of government. For me it would have to be an all or nothing scenario. Either everyone is welcome to attend the service, no reservation required, or we are not having in-person services due to government restriction. Is it, first come, first served? Is that how it works these days? Salvation reserved? 

No comments:

Post a Comment