Sunday, December 26, 2021

The last stop

  Ever wonder where Santa's last stop is? And how does he feel when he reaches into that sack and pulls out the last toy? It is a sigh of relief, or an exclamation of joy? It is something I have considered. I expect he feels happy, gratified, that he has once again completed his mission. His mission is to bring joy to the world, isn't it? Certainly, that is the truth to the believers, the innocents. And what a joy it is. A deep seated satisfaction surely follows that. I have given it some thought and can't recall when Santa made that last delivery to me. Just what Christmas was that? How old was I? Seems as though I always knew it was just a fable but perhaps that is part of the magic as well. Could be your innocence is lost with that last delivery. Santa is a magical being after all. From then on, you have doubts. 
 I think perhaps that is our first test of faith. Do you believe? You can't see him and many will tell you he doesn't exist. When you are very small and your parents took you to him, you cried. Most likely you were afraid. You weren't sure why you should be afraid, but you were. In my experience, my religious instruction, I was taught to fear God. The reason was spelled out quite clearly. No gift for you! You had to be good, you had to believe, really believe, not just pretend believe. I can remember pretending to believe in Santa. In retrospect I wasn't fooling anyone, least of all myself. That is true with faith as well. And that is a truth I struggle with most every day. Proclamations are easy, faith is hard. You can't just pretend to believe.  
 What will be the last test of faith? I think it would certainly be different for each of us, it would have to be. Will it be when we face death? Maybe, but many die without knowing they are about to die, at the moment. Not that any of us can know, with certainty, what that hour will be. I really don't think you get to choose, no matter what. Now God may grant your wish, he may comply, but if he doesn't, you won't. Yup, simple as that. For that reason alone we have to be ready, at any time. We must keep faith. We must believe, truly believe.
  The thing with God is you can find faith at any time. You don't have to worry about the past, worry about whether you were good or bad. Forgiveness is at hand when you believe, truly believe. You will not be judged according to good or bad, the judgement lies in belief. Belief is not simply a proclamation before others, it is a certainty when others are uncertain. I also believe it is something you have to find every day! Therein lies the struggle. The maintenance of belief, rooted in faith. It must be carefully nurtured each day. Only then, will it bear fruit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment