Saturday, December 25, 2021

As it should be

  Merry Christmas. I got up as I usually do, grabbed my coffee, turned on the computer. Posted my morning salutation and checked my memories page. Yes, it is a bit of a routine. Scrolling down I can see Christmas past. The year I gave my grandson the Red Ryder BB gun and my granddaughter a Spyder style bicycle stand out. The BB gun was a hit, the bicycle not so much. With the bicycle I was giving her my memory more than a thoughtful gift for her. Not that she didn't appreciate it, I do have a video of her riding it, but it was something I had wanted all those years ago. I think the following year I tried an electric scooter for her birthday but that didn't go over very well either, well, even Santa Claus flops now and again. This year should be safe as their wants are needs and I was aware of that. That's what happens to Christmas, after all. Our wants do become needs. If you think about it we all got exactly what we needed for Christmas, everything else is just extra! 
 As I scrolled down I saw a picture of my Christmas tree from ten years back. What stood out was the paper chain. It was wrapped top to bottom with a paper chain made from different colored construction paper. I remembered cutting and gluing that with the grandkids. I recall the "discussion" about the size of the loops and the width of the links. In the end a uniform size was decided upon and each of us began to form our own chain. Ah, those were good times when the kids were little like that. Another year we tried to string popcorn, not as easy as one might think. Still, I believe we did get a string completed. 
 This year the wife and I are just sitting here, waiting on the kids. Truth be told it has been that way for a number of years now. The grandson will be coming over with his Moms' vehicle, a suv, to transport all the gifts to their house. My son just recently had some surgery to his hip and climbing the stairs to my place is a bit of a challenge for him right now. So, we wait. Thing is, they are in no hurry at their age. That youthful exuberance now replaced with the calm demeanor of having "grown up." Really it is more about confidence and assurance that "Santa" has indeed delivered the goods. Yeah, that's how we all feel, admit it. 
 I figure Christmas will officially begin for us about 10:30 or so. It'll be over by noon or one o'clock. It has been a strange Christmas season having never really gotten started. I mean I tried to get in the spirit. I tried to decorate and all that. But I kept finding excuses for not doing this or that. It's just us, being the most frequently used. Having Morris the cat was another reason to not decorate indoors in the style we have in past years. Incidentally. I celebrate having Morris for two years today, yes, he was a gift to me in 2019. I have to say he made himself at home, has adjusted well. Well, we adjusted to him anyway. That's how it goes with cats. 
 Until the kids come, I'll sip my coffee and enjoy my memories. I'll think about those that are no longer with me on this blue planet. I expect there is a celebration in heaven. As far as my core family goes, it is just myself and one brother left. I'll give him a call later in the day. It's not a sad thing, not at all, my memories give me comfort. All is as it should be, that is what I believe. That doesn't mean I always understand it, or agree, but it is as it should be. So, Merry Christmas to all.      

No comments:

Post a Comment