Thursday, December 30, 2021

just ramblin' on

  I was thinking about the way the grocery stores have changed since I was a kid. Now I admit to not paying much attention to that prior to having a job at one when I was sixteen. I remember when you could buy Colliers Encyclopedia a volume at a time on your weekly trip to the store. They also had dishes, pots and pans under similar promotional programs. That was in the days when many people were smoking as they shopped. I swept up a good number of butts back then, cigarette butts that is. Would find then on the shelves too. Those were the customers considerate enough to not just throw them on the floor. Each can or bottle on the shelf had a price stamped on it too. I carried my price gun in a holster on my side. That alone would probably cause a bit of a panic these days, a holster! OMG he's got a gun. 
 I did work at the IGA. My brother was a butcher there and my Mom wrapped the meat. Yes, at one time all three of us worked there together. It was the butcher shop that came to mind when I started writing this piece. In those days beef came to the store, half a cow at a time, hanging on a hook. The butcher had to know how to break that down. In short, you needed to be a butcher. That isn't the case today. In most cases the beef comes in boxes these days, broken down into different portions. The butcher only needs to know how to make the finish product, a skill that can be taught rather quickly. Many grocery stores today do not even have a "window" for the meat department. I'm certain they are around but I know of no butcher shop in my area. If I could find one I'm certain I couldn't afford the prices! It's probably called "artisanal" these days, code for, expensive. I wonder where you get a soup bone or a bone for your dog? 
 When I was younger the IGA store also sold small appliances. They sold things like toasters, blenders and hand mixers. They would be displayed on the top of the freezer cases or wherever a spot presented itself. On occasion there would be other merchandise like coolers and beach chairs. You still see that every now and again, but I don't think it is as prevalent. Walmart super stores don't count in my opinion. When I worked there you were expected to come to the front and be a bagger at any time. I would hear, Ben to the front. I dropped whatever I was doing and went to the front as fast as I could. Customer service was the top priority! I bagged those groceries, placing them in a cart, and would take them out to the car. A quarter tip seemed to be the standard. One lady in particular always gave me a dime, pressed into the palm of my hand like it was a gold piece! I thanked her, smiled and continued on my way. Everything was in a paper bag, no plastic. There was no choosing. 
 It seemed like most people shopped once a week, usually on the same day. The Friday after work crowd was a busy time and Saturday mornings. The store wasn't open on Sunday. Yes I know, that was back in the day. It may have been illegal to be open on Sunday then, I can't say for certain, but I know you couldn't buy beer before one o'clock. The grocery store didn't sell any alcohol. If people needed a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk, you got that at the corner deli. Mom and Pop "country" stores were everywhere. That was before they were called convenience  stores, more code for, expensive. 
 Thinking back on it women did do the grocery shopping as a general rule. Of course, they were "dressed" for the occasion. The ladies came to the store in their dresses, hair done up and make up on. A far cry from what you would see in the grocery store these days. It was an outing. There were some that you could count on every week, on a certain day, and at the same time. The "dime" lady was one of those. Friday after five, and parked at least a half block from the store. Almost everyone was a regular. People tended to have their store. You shopped at the IGA or the A&P. You didn't just shop at any store. People had their loyalties in those days. To some extent I think they still do.
 Not that many years back I worked at the local Save-A-Lot. My son is the manager of that store, in fact he is district manager of four stores. After I retired I took the job for a few hours a week. I did enjoy interacting with the customers and it had much the same feeling as when I worked at the IGA all those years ago. Occasionally I would volunteer to help an elderly customer with her groceries, taking them to her car. I was surprised how many were so thankful and would comment on that small act. They would say things like, you don't get service like this anymore. Many would offer a tip, which I always refused with a smile and a thank you it has been my pleasure. Customer service you know. No butcher shop window, no deli counter, just the basics. That's the premise of Save-A-Lot, save on groceries. No frills. 
 And that is what has changed the most in my opinion. It's all business these days! And now I'm seeing people just placing their orders online, having someone else shop for you. No personal interaction required except if you want to pick them up yourself. Do you tip that person? What's the protocol there? 
 Well I guess I have rambled on enough for one morning. I tend to do that when I can't get my thoughts together. Started out wondering where I could get a soup bone. Thing is, I don't even want a soup bone, it was just a thought. Can you get suet anymore? Used to see that in the butcher case this time of year. I do remember picking a pickle for a nickel out of the barrel. Yeah, it was a plastic barrel, and they had thongs for you to use and waxed paper. But still, it was a pickle in a barrel, very nostalgic back in 1960's.  

No comments:

Post a Comment