Thursday, December 16, 2021

saying goodbye

  I was glad to hear from a friend that proper honors were bestowed upon a man that most certainly deserved them. His name was Ralph George and I knew him well. A navy veteran that had served with honor and distinction. Although I never heard the tale from Ralph personally, I did see his commendation framed upon the wall. He served in the submarine force and at one time saved the lives of at least one fellow crewmember. A true hero in the sense that he never spoke of it to me or anyone else that I was aware of. He was a man doing his job, his duty, and expected nothing in return. His was a life of service to others. 
  I could write paragraphs about the man but I'm certain he was properly eulogized as he was loved by many. A real "character" is the way I would describe him and that is meant in the most respectful manner. A man that defined a generation in my opinion. One of the greatest generation for sure. I knew him first when I was just a teenager. He was one of the first "grownups" that insisted I just call him Ralph. That was in a time when teenagers addressed adults as Mr. or sir. But not Ralph. Although I haven't seen him in many years the world feels a little smaller without him. He did live a long life. always there, know what I mean? 
  Saturday I will be participating in the wreaths across America campaign. A short ceremony at the town flag pole, a few words, and a few prayers. The names will be spoken as the wreaths are laid to honor and remember all those that have served. It is the least we can do. This year I am told over 450 wreaths will be laid in the Greensboro cemetery. That will be the largest ever. I hope it becomes a tradition practiced for many years to come. I am big on tradition, big on honoring those deserving. But, I do harbor reservations regarding all of that as well. It is my feeling that honors given too readily, too quickly, too freely, soon lose their meaning. I think it's the whole "familiarity breeds contempt" adage that I'm thinking about. It is a loss of respect. When our honors become everyday, the norm, they are no longer special. Honors should be reserved. Heros are far and few between! Being exceptional is what makes a hero, a hero! 
  What I'm struggling to say is, when we begin offering honors, not to honor the individual, but to show others we honor, that becomes an issue. Now Ralph George was certainly worth every honor bestowed upon him, without question. Was he a perfect man? No, he wasn't, he was a man. He was different from others in many ways, one of them being his unselfish willingness to help others without expectation of reward, or recognition. He just did his thing, as we say in modern parlance. To Ralph I say fair winds and a following sea my friend. The world just isn't quite as friendly as it used to be. That's my feeling anyway.   

No comments:

Post a Comment