Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Charity and Wealth

   "Wealth consists in not having great possessions, but in having few wants." (Epictetus) That bit of wisdom from one of my favorite stoic philosophers came to mind this morning. I suppose it has to do with the Christmas season and the giving and getting in all of that. I agree with his sentiment, but would point out, it often takes wealth to eliminate wants. That is true when the want is for another, not for yourself. I think that is what Epictetus had in mind though, personal wants, not needs. There is a big difference. I'm thinking he learned that when he was a slave. Yes, he was a slave during a period in his life, then he escaped. He went on to become Epictetus, philosopher. He usually lived alone, frugally it is written, and remained unmarried. He was walking the walk. 
 There is nothing inherently wrong with wanting things. It is only when we let those wants consume us that it becomes problematic. When we allow desire to rule our actions. That is what Epictetus is talking about, in my opinion. But, what if those wants are for others, for their benefit? Does that count? It can certainly cause a great deal of anxiety in us. When we want others to happy, to be fed, to be clothed, have adequate shelter, all that sort of thing. When our wants are their needs? Wouldn't that require wealth? I guess that depends upon how you are going to define wealth. 
 Is wealth having more than you need? That would be the most basic definition, wouldn't it? If that is the measure the vast majority of us are wealthy people. Indeed, a number of us are really wealthy! We don't think so however, that isn't what we mean when we say someone is wealthy. Are they wealthy when they can afford what they don't need? No, that can't be it either, we all buy stuff we don't need just because we want it. Wealth is the ability to acquire whatever we want. I'm thinking that is closer to the reality. When we can't afford to get whatever it is that we want, we want more wealth. In short, more money. Is that different when what we want is a need? No, I don't think it is. 
 The question is, should we have an expectation of charity? Isn't that what we want when we don't have enough resources of our own? Isn't that the entire premise behind a Santa Claus? Just ask, and you receive, if you are deserving. Children don't ask for what they need, they ask for what they want. Sometimes they are the same thing. The secret to happiness is not allowing your wants to override your needs. That's true even if the need is for someone else. My friend Epictetus said, "authentic happiness is always independent of external conditions." What we might call contentment. 
 "Wealth consists in not having great possessions, but in having few wants." So, ask yourself, what do I want for Christmas. It's a question I struggle with all the time, what do I want? I'll know when the answer remains unchanged. Until then, I'll just keep on asking. Things is, just who is checking that list? Am I deserving? I have to rely on charity. Epictetus didn't say you shouldn't have any wants, just that you should have a few. Choose wisely is my advice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment