Thursday, July 29, 2021

what remains

  July is almost past, hard to believe isn't it? I am looking forward to the fall, my favorite time of year. I like the falling leaves, the crisp cool air in the morning and warm afternoons. I get the feeling that I am just finishing up. Do you know that feeling? A task has been started and now you are almost done. Just a few things to tidy up, put in order and the job is done. That's the feeling of fall. You have to be settled before the cold harsh winter arrives. I expect those that live in more moderate climates wouldn't have the same experience. I have lived for brief periods in the south and can say it wasn't the same thing for me anyway. I did miss the winter. 
  I know I'm rushing things a bit, we do have the entire month of August to get through. There will be plenty of hot weather yet. Still, July is almost over. In a way July marks the beginning and end of the year. Not your year perhaps, but definitely mine. I was born on July 20th, that's the start of my year. I've made sixty eight so far. I've had lots of life events take place in the month of August over the years, dates to be remembered. That began when I left for Navy boot camp on August the 19th, 1971. A date that will forever be remembered as a date that changed my entire life course. A decision made. 
  When I think of winter I think of Christmas. I don't think about winter a whole lot though, probably the reason I don't think about Christmas a lot either. I'm not one to start shopping and planning for that very far in advance. But I was thinking about that this morning when I looked at the date. Yeah, these days the day and date are displayed in the lower right hand corner of my computer screen and that's how I keep track. Having a calendar isn't as important as it used to be in the old days. I have one hanging in the hallway, I think. I guess businesses still give them away don't they? Or has that become something of the past? I do know some years back now, the character of the calendars changed. Yeah, they became far more "correct" for lack of a better term. But my mind wanders a bit with that thought. So, I'm thinking about Christmas and how I won't have any little children to buy for this year. Not that the grandkids were little last year but with Morgan and Shyann, my youngest granddaughters both in college this year, it seems different. Christmas magic? Well, not so much anymore as they know all the magicians tricks. 
  It seems to me that this year will be more about the passing of tradition, than the exchanging of gifts. That's what Christmas means to me. I do enjoy celebrating the traditions I learned from my parents and some that I have created over the years. Christmas is all about remembrance. In the dead of winter, bound to the indoors for the most part, it is a time for reading books and contemplation. Families gather round to celebrate with each other. The gifts are just a distraction for the most part. It isn't about what we want anymore, but more about what we have. I am thinking about all of that. What gifts do you give? I don't think those gifts will be found in the store or online. I'm thinking at this stage in my life the wrapping paper has all been cleaned up, all the new clothes worn, the toys have played with. The excitement is over. What remains? Sentiment for the most part. Sentiment and sediment are closely related. Both are what remains, what stayed behind. Traditions and memories. 
  In the meantime there is still grass to cut, air conditioning to enjoy and fresh fruit and vegetables. August is a busy time. The back to school supplies are lining the shelves, back packs piled high. It's unsettled though what with this Covid stuff. I keep hearing on the news there is a shortage of people to drive the bus. Stand by for the second wave, stay by to go into lockdown! Lots to keep us occupied. Rushing toward the new normal. Really, that is adjusting to change, something man has been doing since the beginning of time. Yeah, it's normal. Traditions are intended to stabilize things, that's the reason they are a comfort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment