Wednesday, July 28, 2021

misplaced

  It's nothing new, just something that moves to the front of my mind every now and again. I was reminded once again when I saw a meme on Facebook. This meme featured a female American soldier, in fatigues, assault rifle, and an attack dog. In her right hand she is holding an American flag with that blue line running across it. We all know what that means, the thin blue line. Ah, it's quite the patriotic picture isn't it? It's meant to inspire, bring pride in our nation, the restoration of law and order! But I see something else, I see misplaced patriotism. The flag is never to be altered for any reason! Adding a blue line is defacing and disrespecting that flag. I can appreciate the sentiment but it is wrong. You can't on one hand say you love and respect the flag while defacing it in the other. That is a prime example of hypocrisy. I can't help but point that out.
  I expect that comes from the way I was raised. When I was a child I was taught to treat the flag with respect at all times. It was never to touch the ground was the primary rule! It was to be saluted whenever the National Anthem was being played and saluted when it passed by in a parade. Well, those in uniform and veterans saluted, I just put my hand over my heart, not having earned the privilege of saluting. I recall the outcry when the hippies started wearing the flag as clothing and burning that flag! Wasn't anyone saying, it's their right, until it went to court. Well it has been to the Supreme court several times, the first time in 1907 when a beer company began printing an American Flag on their label. That was struck down as disrespectful and they were ordered to stop. But in 1989 by a vote of 5-4 the right to burn the flag, or otherwise use it in any fashion whatsoever was upheld. The first amendment was cited as the authority. I dissent, and agree with the other justices who wrote, the flag is not simply an idea, or another point of view, competing for recognition in the marketplace of ideas. I haven't changed my opinion and never will.
     President Woodrow Wilson, 1917
This flag, which we honor and under which we serve, is the emblem of our unity, our power, our thought and purpose as a nation. It has no other character than that which we give it from generation to generation. The choices are ours. It floats in majestic silence above the hosts that execute those choices, whether in peace or in war. And yet, though silent, it speaks to us — speaks to us of the past, or the men and women who went before us, and of the records they wrote upon it.

  I can't help but question this ruling by the Supreme court. Why is it alright to disrespect the flag but certain words or phrases are punishable by law. They call that hate speech! Are not words simply ideas, another point of view? Why is that protected yet the flag allowed to be mutilated, burned, and exploited to sell every product under the sun. As Wilson wrote, "it has no other character than that which we give it from generation to generation." Another famous man once said, " I hope one day my children will be judged by the content of their character and not the color of their skin." The quote may not be exact, call it paraphrasing. But. that man was speaking of character and it is up to each generation to define that character. Is this the character we have chosen? A character based not in right and wrong but in our wants? A character that can choose to disrespect and disregard the past and all those that came before us? A character that chooses self over sacrifice? A character that chooses pretentiousness over humility? That's not in my character and I will not endorse or otherwise acknowledge the legitimacy of any such ruling or thought.   

No comments:

Post a Comment