Thursday, July 1, 2021

learning history

 Here it is July. It's my birth month! Guess I should start the celebration. I've noticed in recent years we have gone from having a birthday, to having a birthday weekend, and birth week. Why not a birth month? July is all about me. Well I have been here for 24,819 days, well almost, I wasn't born until about 8am I think, something like that. That means I am 67 years 11 months and 12 days old. It will be my first birthday without my mother in this world. If I had a dollar for every second I would have 2,144,361,600 dollars. Thinking about that does put some things into perspective. A couple billion dollars! That's all? Seems like it should be more doesn't it? It does when you think about how the government spends your tax dollars. The government has spent that much and more doing gender studies, something I knew by the time I was five. 
 America will celebrate her 245th birthday on the fourth. She was just 177 when I was born. I've seen the celebration changing over that time. The way I celebrate has changed over that time as well. Birthdays aren't something I look forward to anymore, I'm just trying to stay alive. I think America is experiencing the same thing, just trying to survive. The birthday isn't really about her anymore, the focus has shifted. Many believing America isn't the grand lady she used to be and disparaging her. They are telling the tales with a different twist with only their self interests in mind. Biting the hand that feeds them in my opinion. But my Flag will fly proudly, my bunting displayed and I remain grateful. Having lived history, and having participated in its' making even in the smallest sense, I can review it. The old adage those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it has proven itself to be true. That much I can attest to by first hand experience. History can also make you nervous if you are paying attention. 
 Lord Tytler, a Scottish historian, wrote that the average life span of a Democracy is 200 years, after which it collapses for a number of reasons. You say, but we aren't a Democracy we area Republic. Yes, that is true. What is also true, although we don't think of it in that way, we are an empire! The rest of the world certainly views America as an Empire. So how long do Empires last? On average 250 years. Knowing all that, the future looks bleak! But we can learn from history, we don't have to be doomed to repeat it. Lord Tytler identified the eight stages of Democracy. All we need do is acknowledge that and where we currently stand in that line. You go from bondage to spiritual faith (the Puritans), from spiritual faith to great courage, (we challenged the Empire of Britain), from courage to liberty(we won). from Liberty to abundance,( done that a couple times), from abundance to complacency(I've seen that), from complacency to apathy(just let the government handle it), from apathy to dependence( that's where we are headed aren't we?) and finally from dependence back to bondage. Does that make you nervous? It should. 
 I'm including this link to the article I referenced for parts of this blog. Take the time to read it and grasp the significance of it before it is too late. It's July folks, time to celebrate America. Let's give her the gift of our love and preserve her. The old gal sure has taken a beating in recent years. It's time to display our courage once again. We the people need to take back the power. I urge you to read the article if for no other reason than to get a new perspective. 


No comments:

Post a Comment