Friday, October 16, 2020

is it enough

  When all we have to offer is our intellectual property is that enough? That, I believe is the challenge in social media. I have noticed others are quick to dismiss you when you disagree with even the littlest thing. That is true with complete strangers anyway. I see it all the time and I am amused. The name calling and berating will begin almost immediately. Some apparently go to your profile page to find ammunition, or at the very least what they perceive that ammunition to be be. For me I have listed, worked at Save-A-Lot and I often get derisive comments about that. The implication being you are not very smart or successful if you work at a grocery store. This usually from the same people that heaps praise upon the "essential" workers and how they admire their courage. Well, unless they disagree with you, then you are somehow less than. I just chuckle. I get many remarks about studying at the University of Life. I'll usually respond with, I've got my PhD! But as I said that is usually from those that are complete strangers. 
 Now, on social media we also encounter those that we have known from years past. What we know about them are memories. We do share some common bonds, hometown, school, teachers, perhaps the military or other job. The thing there is time, the length of time that has gone past. People do change in their ideological views over time. That is shaped by their experiences in life. Some become arrogant, some become disappointed and angry, others somewhere in-between. With those folks once we get past the memories, past the common bonds, an exchange begins. With many of those folks we never had a relationship in the first place. We know their names, maybe their brothers and sisters, their parents or some other connection. The thing is, we weren't really friends, not in the traditional sense of friendship. Still, there is a certain sense of courtesy, of mutual respect in the beginning at least. Then the differences begin to show, the disagreements, the differing of opinion. Indeed, a new perspective on history may be shared and that can be quite upsetting. When others attempt to correct your memories, there will be issues.
 There is a third category. Those that we know, those that are "current." These are the folks we interact with on a daily basis. They may also be from either of the other two categories. They are also the ones that you can share just your intellectual property with. To put it simply those that agree with you most of the time. They can also disagree without rancor, name calling and making it personal. How long they remain current depends upon their willingness to, as they say, put up with you. I say, to accept your intellectual property. For me, that property should be original. That is to say, honest and forthright. I don't like phonies, or those that just go along with the crowd. I admire strength of character, not those easily influenced. Those people become my friends. 
 I began by asking a simple question; when all we have to offer is our intellectual property is that enough? I believe it can be. It can be when the other person isn't expecting anything in return. That is where many so called friendships fall off the rails. It's true with personal contact, true with a memory, and true with a complete stranger. That return is often labeled, respect. It is an expectation, that you will be respected. The trouble begins when defining that respect. For some respect means you should always just agree with whatever they are saying. That's respect. Others feel respect is only given when they are able to change your mind, quite a difficult proposal in my case. Still others feel respect is integral to empathy. If you don't agree with their view, it is always because you lack empathy. But always, respect is an expectation and it must meet their standard. 
 That standard becomes flexible for some when there is something other than an exchange of ideas. That is to say, a material or financial gain to be had. In that situation the standard lowers, you are tolerated for whatever it is you can provide. Provide enough and you become "best" friends. Wealth and fame will get you a get out of jail free card whenever necessary. Any indiscretion on your part will be summarily dismissed. But on this platform we call social media there is no material or financial gain to be had. At least not for those of us just seeking entertainment without any expectations. Expectations like finding true love, financial security, or other promises. Those folks become the victims. And that is why I asked the question, is your intellectual property enough? Well , it all depends upon what you are trying to buy I suppose. As for myself I expect nothing in return, my intellectual property is a gift, take it or leave it. I'd be lying if I said I'm not bothered when rejected, I think everyone does. Thing is I'll continue to offer the same product, I won't change to suit the current market. Never one much for fad or fashion I remain pretty much the same. That's who I am. I even wrote a short ditty about that, " My name is Ben, that's who I am, and all I'm gonna be, I tried to be someone else, but it just wasn't me. "  Me is my intellectual property. Is it enough? It is for me, you can take it or leave it. Friendships require attention, like anything that grows, they must be nurtured. Nurture that which first drew you together and see what grows. Is it something material? Are you dependent upon that? Or is it something more, a personal connection of some type, a mutual understanding. What is the expectation? Define that, and you define the friendship.   

No comments:

Post a Comment