Wednesday, October 28, 2020

details

 Taking the time for details. That is something I've always had an issue with, as I'm always anxious to just get it done. I expect that is why my interest isn't held in one discipline for very long. That is to say, I'm not expert in anything. Some folks define themselves by their occupation, others by their hobbies. and me, I don't identify at all, I'm just me. That thought came to me this morning because of my flag. I had ordered a new flagpole, one that promises to keep my flag tangle free, and has a two year warranty. It warranties the pole will last two years, not that the flag won't tangle at some point in that two year period. a minor detail. But it isn't that detail that I got thinking about. I know the flag, when flown after dusk, should be illuminated. My flag is not. I should take that flag down every evening but often I do not. It's one of those details I am overlooking. Now, my plan is to buy a solar powered light to remedy that situation. My intention is to take care of that detail. What I'm thinking about however is that all I really have to down is take it down before dusk. Why don't I do that? Because I ignore that detail for the sake of convenience, that's why. Again I'm skipping the details, anxious to just move on. 
 It's all rather ironic if you think about it. When I was younger, I had all kinds of time. I could have spent far more time and energy pursuing the details. Instead I chose to just gain a working knowledge of whatever interested me at the moment, and just move on. You could say I was without direction. I say direction because I always had a purpose. The purpose changed according to the situation I found myself in and so I adapted. Not being concerned with the details that was sometimes perplexing. Life as it turns out is really in the details. That's why the old adage, the devil is in the details. The devil attempts to keep us from seeing those details is my guess. The devils' job is distraction. If he can keep you distracted long enough, he's got ya! My grandmother would say to me, you've got the devil in you, and I just laughed. She was telling me important information but I wasn't paying attention. 
 Ironically now that I'm older, and my projected time is shorter, I find myself examining the details far more closely. Now, I'm taking the time. Guess it is because I'm not that busy, not that much in a hurry anymore. Hey, what's the rush? I have established a good foundation, so it's time to build. That's the way I'm looking at it. I do have a good working knowledge of many things, time to start honing some of that. The issue now is what? I can rule out physical activities, too old to become a professional baseball player, I can rule out master mechanic or carpenter. a little late for those career choices, so I'm thinking philosopher. Philosophers are concerned with the details and I've got time for that. Thing about that is most philosophers aren't recognized until they are dead, even then it takes a while. But maybe I have saved up the details for just this occasion. I do find myself becoming a bit more fastidious as the years go by. That gives me hope, maybe I'll finish up strong. 
 People have short memories and will remember you as they last knew you. That can work in your favor. The trick is to avoid becoming a cranky, grumpy, old man. You can be highly opinionated, adamant in your beliefs, and be forgiven for that after your passing. Those remembering you will, at some point, see the truth of your words, and speak favorably of you. That's because opinions are transient things, subject to change at any moment. Being a negative person will stay with you, even after you have "left the building." That observation may be expressed with affection, but it is what will be said about you. I have become philosophical over time, so philosophy is my interest at this time. Philosophy is nothing more than trying to find answers. Answers to the big questions. 
 I asked my wife just the other day, I wonder if you miss this? What I was talking about is this life. If there is a life after, and you remember this life, will you miss this life? Will you say, dang I miss Barbeque or You Tube? I miss the imperfections that are living? In the afterlife everything is supposed to be perfect, I'm not certain I could handle that for eternity. Some of my biggest mistakes are also some of my best memories! I know, sounds weird, but the devil is in the details. I'm thinking I'll miss that. Well unless the opposite happens then an eternity of the devil will be too much! Maybe I should quit this philosophy stuff though, I'm not certain I want to know the answer. I could just wait and find out. Guess I'll have another cup of coffee and think it over. The problem with philosophy, at least for me, is that people seldom see the wisdom in your words until after you're dead. It isn't much fun if I don't get to say, I told you so. Yes, that is one of the great satisfactions in life, saying, I told you so. Being right is the goal, and that's exactly why we say get "right" with the lord. It's good to be right. Then again maybe that is what the after life is all about. Sitting on a cloud, talking with those you have known over your lifetime and being able to say, told you so. And there only response is, you're right.            

No comments:

Post a Comment