Sunday, April 26, 2020

over time

 It has become somewhat of a habit, I check the memories page on my Facebook account every morning. It goes back ten years, an entire decade. That's amazing to me, ten years on Facebook already. It's fun to see what I posted on a particular day. There are certainly a lot of posts about the grandkids. Something that has changed over that time period. Now that they are older the posts are fewer. Mark being in college and Morgan high school their accomplishments aren't recorded as readily. I'm sure you know what I mean. Wouldn't want to embarrass them, and they are, of course linked to my page. They are on my friends list. They aren't always happy about that I think, but excuse it with their friends as " old " people. I'm sure you know that attitude you take with your friends, that don't really know your other friends, and you make excuses for them. Yeah, he's a little crazy or well you don't get to choose your relatives, that sort of thing. I do enjoy looking back though.
 One year ago on this day my son Kevin was sworn in as the mayor of Greensboro. An entire year of this administration and I can say no controversies. Sadly I haven't attended many town meetings. I know for all my talk of civics, I rarely attend those town hall meetings. It isn't because my son has been one of the commissioners or is now the mayor, I just haven't taken an interest in town affairs. I will say that now Kevin is the mayor I would hesitate to speak up at a public meeting, he certainly doesn't need that. Truth is, there isn't a whole lot going on in Greensboro, Maryland to be concerned with beyond the regular concerns of running the town. And another truth is I like it that way. The Fire company and the Lions club are the two biggest organizations in town. I expect it is that way with most of small town America.
 The office of Mayor is a three year term here in Greensboro. There is no official office, he doesn't have a desk at town hall, or a private office. We aren't like that. The Mayor is a part time position, as are the commissioners and those on the various boards. Yes the Mayor and the commissioners all receive a yearly stipend, a sort of thank you from the town. But it isn't about the money it's about the town. Kevin had a goal of one day becoming the mayor and accomplished that goal. He tells me he has no aspirations beyond that office. The next step up with be county commissioner and I believe him when he says, he's not interested. Kevin rarely mentions that he is the mayor, that office hasn't changed him in any way in that regard. He does love the town, his hometown, and is concerned with keeping it alive. Like most of the small towns in America today, downtown doesn't have much in the way of business. There is nothing to draw the tourists to the town and so that's an issue. If you want people to come, you have to have something to sell. It's a simple fact. Stage a parade without any vendors and the turn out is very low. Try to stage anything without vendors and the turn out is always low. You have to have something to sell. I know, it's a strange thing. You would think something for free would be attractive, it's not, unless there are vendors. Well, anyway the Mayor is always trying to organize something to attract people to our town.
 Funny how time sometimes fools us. It's just been a year but seems longer. I suppose that it is because he has been a commissioner for a while, so being in office isn't anything new to him or me. The grandkids are young adults, where did that time go? But it doesn't seem like anything has changed in Greensboro since I moved here over twenty years ago. I don't even remember what year that took place. I was still in the Navy then and I've been retired from that since 1993! The truth is I've lived longer in Greensboro than I have any other place, including the place I was born and raised. Still I don't think of Greensboro as my hometown, Greensboro is where I live. Yeah, my son is the Mayor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment