Friday, April 24, 2020

Morris

 For the past few days I've been making an effort to keep these blogs light and airy. I want to say, without thought, but that isn't exactly true, I have to think about what I'm typing. It's just that lately some seem to get overly excited about what I have written, guessing it is stress or anxiety. I'm pleased that folks are reading anyway. It's an amazing thing really that such weight could be assigned to my thoughts. Well it has been my experience in life that the written word carries far more weight than the spoken word. See, it says so right here. Yes the written word is a powerful thing no matter who writes it. Certainly we will dismiss the writings of those we don't agree with or go contrary to our desires. Signs are the same way, generally observed until we don't want to. Think this line for ten items only, we have twelve or fourteen, it'll be alright. Wet paint is always a favorite, most will touch the paint to verify the sign is accurate. If we really mean something, we are told, put it in writing! That makes it official.
 So this morning I was wondering what I could write about that wouldn't get anyone upset. I've decided to write about my cat, Morris. Morris was a gift from the grandkids. My wife had told the kids how I would like to have a cat, I've had them in the past. It was a nice gesture of her part as she is not an animal person. It isn't that she doesn't like a cat or a dog for that matter, she doesn't like the way they behave on occasion. But anyway, Morris was rescued from the shelter and is about four years old. After being here with us for about four months he has settled right in, the way cats do. In short, he's taken over the joint! Yes, he is everywhere, on everything, in everything and demanding. When he is hungry he will get right under your feet to impede your progress. I read where this is there way of trying to direct you to the food bowl. One of the stranger habits Morris has is the way he drinks his water. He will dip his paw in the bowl and bring it to his mouth in that fashion. I asked the vet about that and he explained that cats will sometimes do that because their vision up close isn't so good. He suggested getting a fountain. I did buy Morris his own personal fountain, it stands like a shrine next to his food bowl. I have to clean it out often as his gets his food in there. But I have seen him drink water in the normal fashion where the water comes out so I guess that Doctor knew what we was talking about.
 I have purchased a number of toys for him. The house is slowly being taken over with his stuff. Yes, I am spoiling him. I built two window seats for him. He does enjoy sitting on them looking out at the birds and squirrels. He will take off rushing window to window looking for whatever. It can give you a start that's for sure. He could be lying there seemingly asleep and then spring up like a shot! He has his favorite toy, a little furry mouse. that he will toss around, bite and grapple with. After a while he will throw it down the stairs. Then he will go get that mouse and bring it to my feet. He expects a treat each time he does that and I usually oblige him. I didn't believe it at first but you can train cats to do certain things. I bought a clicker and he will come in response to that, when he is in the mood anyway, receiving a treat for doing so. I have to watch the treats though, the Doctor said his weight has to be watched. He's not overweight, yet.
 There is another thing he does that I wonder if other cats do the same. As I said I've had cats in the past but they never did this. Morris will run up to you and bat at you with his foot and then run away. I said to my wife, it's like a drive by! He will sometimes do that when you are walking too. I've even had him jump into my lap, smack me, and rush off. It's almost like he is saying, wake up, I want some attention here. My wife really doesn't like when he does that, it startles her. Can't say I blame her, it does make you jump. Another thing he will do is when you are in the bathroom he will stick his front feet under the door. You look down and there are those little feet. This morning the tie from my bathrobe was hanging down, my robe was hanging on the bathroom door, those little feet reached in and grabbed it! I barely got it back before he made off with it. Morris!
 I have plans to build him a catio. I have to wait until it's safe to go out to Lowes. Yes, I know that Lowe's is open but I'm not going there just yet, the weather isn't that great here yet anyway. But I do plan on making him a cation so he can get fresh air and sunshine. As I said I built him two window seats and I have had the window open. He did seem to enjoy the breeze and listening to the birds. I'm thinking he will really enjoy that. Oh the wife discovered you can't really do a jig saw puzzle with Morris around. She had started one, Morris jumped up there to investigate that. Well, you know what happened. Bad Morris, bad. Oh and does anyone else have a cat that likes to get inside the cabinets? Morris will open the cabinet door and climb in there where the pots and pans are stored. You can hear him trying to get the door open as it will slam a few times before he gets a good grip on it. Sometimes we will hear him meowing, something he does little of, when he gets inside the cabinet and the door closes. You have to go out there and let him out. What a silly cat. But that's what I've always like about cats, they are aloof. Somehow I find that quality amusing in a cat. It's almost like they just don't care about you at all. Feed me human, pay attention to me when I want you to, keep my litter box clean. I may allow you to hold me.   

1 comment:

  1. Great story.......Cats are truly very intelligent animals, More so than dogs I believe but very independent.....yet resourceful and lovable....My last cats name was Missy and she was a true beauty.....but she had one flaw.....and only one....whenever I would pack an overnight bag to to travel if I left it opened she would ( you ain’t gonna believe this) she would pee in it.. I learned quickly to never leave it opened because if I did she would just do it again.. My guess is that she would miss me and that was her way of reminding me that she loved me.. Either that or she never wanted me to leave her.. she was a sweetheart... She loved to sleep in boxes.. At Christmas time you would always find her sleeping under the tree in an opened gift box.....My Mom taught me to love cats and so I did.. But as I wind down in age, I’d love to have one but I hate the litter box thing.. Thus no cats, just one grouchy 10 year old LHASA APSO, who loves us but would not think twice about taking off a finger tip if he isn’t in the mood to be loved...He is the meanest craziest dog that I have ever owned.. The vet agrees and tells me that ALFIE is a very fortunate dog to have me as a Dad.....because........he doesn’t think anyone would put up with him for very long... I’ve even had a Veterinary psychologist come to our home on two occasions ( expensive as you might imagine ) , to analyze and treat him.... She confirmed... “ he’s different “ ....
    Bottom line I love him even though he is one huge pain in the butt.😉

    ReplyDelete