Saturday, April 25, 2020

Dreams and disappointment

 You know what I like? Wooden boats. Yup, I grew up with wooden boats, that's what my father had. He had those boats because they were old boats, not those new fiberglass jobs. Who could afford that? And isn't that the way with most of us? Oh, today most people do finance a new car but used cars are still big business. With boats it is the same way. If you can't afford the new you can always buy the old. In the fifties and sixties there were plenty of old wooden boats around. They hadn't yet become collectors items, no, just old boats. Just like cars, if you had a place to store them and the foresight to buy them, you could make a pretty penny on those old boats. But few did and as a result the old wooden boats are getting to be a rarity. Using them on a regular basis is even rarer. 
 I think the largest wooden boat I was ever on was the USS Constitution. It wasn't at sea of course and so I can't speak to that experience. I would like one day to sail on a tall ship. It isn't a pressing desire, it is low down on the bucket list, but it would be fun. I did take a day sail on a skipjack. A skipjack was the traditional oystering boat used on the Chesapeake bay back in the days of sail. There are a few of them still around, preserved and sailed for entertainment, education and profit. The Chesapeake bay museum has a boat building program were you can learn the craft and work on projects of all sizes. It's for those with sufficient disposable income for such things. Wooden boats are an expensive hobby, that much is certain. But as anyone in the know will attest, there is nothing like a wooden boat. 
 The largest one my dad owned was a 32 foot cabin cruiser. A fine old vessel. It wasn't a yacht, not by a long shot, but did have the basics. The head was in the bow, bunks along the sides and a small table. There was a small stove and a refrigerator. Yes, she was a fine vessel. On the stern the name was printed in gold leaf, The Owl and the Pussycat. It wasn't painted pea green, nor sailed for a year and a day, but did have monogramed cocktail glasses onboard. They came with the boat. She had been run aground and was declared a total loss by the insurance company. Dad was working at the Silver Sea Horse marina at that time and placed a bid on that boat. It was accepted by the insurance company and Dad salvaged her. It took some time but he had the skills. The engines were disassembled and rebuilt. All the glass had to be replaced as it was destroyed when the coast guard towed her back to the marina, the water rushing through her. New carpet throughout and other repairs. I remember her sitting in the yard, propped upright. It would be the last wooden boat Dad owned. 
 I did have a sixteen foot lapstrake runabout that my Uncle had given me. I purchased a twenty five horsepower Johnson outboard, a 1958 if memory serves, and felt like I was king of the seas. I had to recaulk her and paint the bottom, the stern was a little sketchy but I figured she would hold that motor. I ran her one summer only and don't recall what happened to her. I'm guessing I sold it to someone or maybe my brother took it. I always have admired those Chris Craft runabouts that were so popular in the forties and fifties. Beautifully crafted using only the finest materials. Collectors items today worth many thousands of dollars. They were expensive to own and maintain even then. I have had the opportunity to ride in one and the experience was something else. Felt like I was on Golden pond, remember that movie? Remember that boat? 
 Wooden boats are something nice to dream about. Everyone should have things they dream about, like houses, boats, airplanes or whatever. Those things that you know you can't afford but would like to have. They aren't the things you actually chase after, they are the things you dream about. Yes we always say chase your dreams, go after it and you can have that. Reality is quite a bit different however and I am well aware of that. The old saying talk is cheap is very true. Takes money to chase dreams like that, lots of money. It's alright though I don't feel cheated, underprivileged or being denied a thing. Wooden boats are a dream not an obsession. I've had lots of dreams over the years and enjoy them for what they are. It is only when you confuse the two, that you are disappointed. 

 

The Owl and the Pussy-Cat

- 1812-1888
The Owl and the Pussy-Cat went to sea
   In a beautiful pea-green boat:
They took some honey, and plenty of money
   Wrapped up in a five-pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
   And sang to a small guitar,
"O lovely Pussy, O Pussy, my love,
   What a beautiful Pussy you are,
            You are,
            You are!
   What a beautiful Pussy you are!"
Pussy said to the Owl, "You elegant fowl,
   How charmingly sweet you sing!
Oh! let us be married; too long we have tarried,
   But what shall we do for a ring?"
They sailed away, for a year and a day,
To the land where the bong-tree grows;
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood,
   With a ring at the end of his nose,
            His nose,
            His nose,
   With a ring at the end of his nose.
"Dear Pig, are you willing to sell for one shilling
   Your ring?" Said the Piggy, "I will."
So they took it away, and were married next day
   By the turkey who lives on the hill.
They dined on mince and slices of quince,
   Which they ate with a runcible spoon;
And hand in hand, on the edge of the sand,
   They danced by the light of the moon,
            The moon,
            The moon,
   They danced by the light of the moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment