Wednesday, April 29, 2020

brandophile?

 There is this gentleman that posts a word of the day on Facebook. These words are ones not commonly used and I'm often stumped. Being a person that enjoys vocabulary it is of interest to me. Yesterday he posted brandophile. Now knowing that the ending " phile " indicated something that someone likes. I took a stab at it and answered , someone who likes brands. Now, I did go look it up after posting my response, it wouldn't be right to look it up beforehand, that would be like buying a diploma off the internet. So, I checked his answer this morning, as he will post the meaning at some point. He says it means a person who collects cigar bands. Yes, I found that answer as well, along with one that sorta fit what I said. It said, " a person who is fond of a commercial brand or brands. " I like the one about a collector of cigar bands best. That is the context I'm thinking I would use that in. In fact it reminded me of my great grandfather. He wasn't a brandophile but did enjoy his cigars. Because of that I am quite familiar with cigar bands and cigar boxes. I don't know but I think cigars have fallen out of favor. I surely don't see many people enjoying them. 
 Great Grandfather Lester was rarely seen without a cigar in the corner of his mouth. It was just as rare to see that cigar lit. For the majority of the time Gramp just chewed on the end. He would occasionally spit, like one does with chewing tobacco, and his aim was extraordinary. It was a fascination for a young person like myself. When he did light it he just gently pulled on that cigar and blew the smoke out of the opposite corner of his mouth. He didn't take it in and out of his mouth all the time, in fact, many times I watched as that large ash would fall off the end. As I said a fascination for a young child. It is one of those indelible memories we all carry. I picture him with that cigar, a white shirt, a vest, arm garters and carrying a cane. That's how my great grandfather looked. 
 Gramp did have quite the collection of cigar boxes at his house. Like all of those old people he never threw anything out. As a result there were cigar boxes filled with all sorts of things. Rubber bands, buttons, pencils, pens, needles and thread, there was just no telling what you might find. I remember White Owls and Dutch Masters. Which brand he preferred I can't say with certainty, both boxes were plentiful. Sadly I don't have any of those boxes. It is only when we get older and the years have past that we begin to place value on such things. It would be a sentimental thing if I had one of his cigar boxes. Well, I have some other reminders of him that I treasure. If I had to guess I'd say it was Dutch Masters that he preferred in his final years. He enjoyed those cigars to the very end. 
 Time and fashion change. Back in the day many men smoked cigars or pipes. They still smoke pipes today, just using a different tobacco these days. But I remember cherry tobacco as being quite the popular choice. My Uncle smoked a pipe, I have his pipe cleaner and lighter, and he used cherry tobacco. Smelled quite nice. I remember going to the library and businessmen reading the newspaper while enjoying a fine cigar. That was, of course, back in the day when you could smoke just about anywhere. My friend and I would buy Black Watch cigars, they came in a metal tube and were wrapped in a thin sheet of cedar wood. We would light those up while sitting in the balcony at the movie theater. Yes, we figured we were big shots. Smoking was allowed in the balcony only! Well smoke rises you know so that way the people below didn't have to deal with that. If memory serves, kids weren't allowed in the balcony. My Mom was an usher at that theater for a number of years, she took your tickets at the base of the stairway leading to the balcony. I guess she was making sure no kids went up there. I honestly don't recall the rules and procedures. 
 I don't have any cigar boxes in my house but I do have ashtrays. They are just old mementos now as I quit that habit years ago. I always smoked indoors, at my house. I could never wrap my head around the idea that I should only smoke outdoors at my own house! Nope, I always smoked indoors and if you didn't like it, go stand on the porch. If it's cold, rainy. or whatever that's just too bad. When I'm at your house I'll follow your rules. You could say I was a brandophile back then, Marlboro was my brand. Today I don't really have any particular brand that I favor over another. I do insist upon a quality product however. There are certain things one can not skimp on, Catsup and toliet paper come to mind. Delmonte or Heinz for catsup and at a minimum a good two ply tissue! Scott is the first choice but other quality brands will get the job done. But I'm wandering off a bit here. 
 It's funny how one word can lead to a whole story. That is exactly what happened this morning. Brandophile, a person who collects cigar bands made me think of great grandfather Lester. With that a whole slew of old remembrances emerged. I was inspired to write about that. To the individual that posted the word I say, thanks Mike. Made me smile anyway. Now I'll be on the lookout for cigar boxes and bands. Remember when men would hand out cigars when their children were born? Now they sell bubble gum ones for that purpose at the hospital gift shop. Used to be, give that man a cigar, as a reward for any accomplishment. Kennedy and many other presidents kept a box of cigars on their desk in the oval office. I don't know how many after him have done so. Cigars were a symbol of power, wealth and influence. The head doctors can explain all of that, although I'm not buying that. I say it was nothing more than custom, one that went out of fashion. Ah, the good old days, right. 

                                                           

                                                           

                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment