Friday, July 12, 2019

Parlors & Porches

 I was watching the Waltons when it occurred to me. We often hear the world could use more front porches, but I think what we really need are more parlors. Parlors were the formal reception area for our guests. It is where polite conversations were held and courtships began. They do harken back to a more genteel society. At least publicly it was, and I don't think that is a bad thing. Perhaps if we all could just step into the parlor some of the anger and hostility would be dissipated. Not that conflict didn't occur in those parlors, but I think that is where the phrase, let's step outside, began. There is a proper place for all things after all.
 I got to thinking about how our homes have changed over the years. I remember when formal dining rooms were a common thing. I believe that has fallen from favor in the design of new homes. Remember when the family room became a thing? I certainly do and the Brady Bunch is to blame for that. They had a family room, of course they also had a maid. But when I was growing up we had a living room. That's what we called it, even though it is were the television and dad's stereo console stayed. Our kitchen was definitely a separate room and you ate in there. Nowadays a " eat in " kitchen is an oddity. Most homes today go with the great room concept. Strangely that is how the cabins our forefathers built were designed, one great room. As progress was made we added rooms. Then we added porches and parlors. Maybe the last great improvement was the addition of closets. At first closets were small, shallow and dark. Now we make them " walk in " and can be bigger than another room in the house! We definitely require far more storage space for our stuff than say, a hundred years ago. That is especially true with clothing and shoes.
 Something I do miss are screen doors and open windows. I remember the front door being held open with a door stop. Mom had a cast iron cat that served that purpose. I had made her one, a dog, in shop class that she used for a while. It worked by sticking a wedge under the door. Kids today probably wouldn't know anything about any of that. And those double hung windows that rattled in their frames. When the cord broke you just got a stick to prop the window open. Remember changing the screens for storm windows? It's true those designs weren't much on home security but you sure could feel the outdoors while indoors! I loved listening to all the night sounds when lying in bed on a hot, humid night. When small I didn't like whip-or-wills for some unknown reason but today I find myself missing that sound. Today the windows and doors are closed and locked most of the time. The air conditioning or heat is going and you are isolated from the outdoors.
 Back in the day you would invite someone to step into the parlor. There they would be received, as the saying goes. What does that mean? It means listened too. If you are received as my guest it means I will listen to you, pay attention to you, I accept the gift of your presence. I received a gift. Less formally the front porch served the same purpose. At the same time the front porch did afford a degree of separation. You did have front door guests, front porch acquaintances, and those that could us the back door. Those coming in the back door were considered family. Now I will invite you into my sanctuary. That's what our homes have become, our sanctuaries from a hostile world and hostile environments. Tiny fortresses of solitude. Our parlors have disappeared and porches replaced with decks. And decks are almost always in the back yard. Probably the reason few of us know the neighbors anymore. Not too many people out taking walks and waving at the neighbors sitting on their front porch. Isn't that the difference between a porch and a deck. Porches are for relaxing and enjoying pleasant conversations. Decks however conjour up a different image altogether. Decks are for bar-b-cue and parties. Nothing relaxing about being on deck!
 If I say parlor what do we think of today? Tattoos and beauty, although the later is falling out of favor I think. Do women still go to the beauty parlor? I'm thinking they just say stylist these days. Parlors are old fashioned. Of course we really don't say tattoo's anymore, now it's getting inked. Well at least the cool people say that. Step into the parlor and get some ink. Things sure have changed.   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment