Tuesday, July 16, 2019

agreeing

 Qui tacet consentire videtur. That is a Latin phrase meaning " he who is silent is taken to agree. " It is used mostly in International Politics and referred to as a tacit agreement. In the contract world it doesn't really apply as a valid precept. But in everyday life, in the real world , I would say that it is indeed a valid observation. All the really classic philosophers spoke Latin. Those philosophers had a tendency to be direct, concise and clear in their thoughts. That's probably why we still quote them to this day. Truth is eternal. And it's true, Qui tacet consentire videtur.
 Why is this important? I'd say it is the basis for our Republic. We are given the right to vote. That right to vote is our voice, we get to dissent! Isn't that what voting is all about. We often think that voting is just choosing to support the candidate we like. We should be using that vote to speak out against what we don't agree with. If you don't vote, you agree. You agree to support whoever is elected. That is true whether you vote or not. Yes, you do agree to that. But to agree to that without exercising that voice, is just tacit approval. You are saying, I don't care!
 Now my Mom often says, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. What does she mean by that? It is just a method to avoid conflict. If you don't say anything at all you are agreeing. People don't argue with those that agree with them. The problem with that is, no ideas are exchanged. Without the exchange of ideas how can we resolve anything? Silence will keep the peace, that can't be denied. If are going to do that why have a Republic? Just pick a dictator and let him/her decide whatever. With no one dissenting we can live in a Utopian society, everyone agrees.
 Now I'm not one to be silent. I never was, and never will be. It isn't because of some higher calling, a sense of social justice. No it's because that's who I am. Maybe it's because I was the youngest in the family. I had to speak up or be continually silent. I couldn't physically challenge them but I could verbally challenge them. I employed sarcasm, wit, wisdom and facts to sway the opinion of the others. I still do that! I'm well aware of that. If I don't agree you will know it. Whether it does any good or not isn't the issue, the purpose is to speak up. If we have to agree to be friends, that isn't a friendship, its' an agreement. What I mean is, Qui tacet consentire videtur, He who is silent is taken to agree.  You can be " friends " as long as you agree. Not much of a friendship is it? 
 It is much easier to speak up when you are not in the physical presence of another person. We are more polite in person aren't we? Yes, as a general rule we are indeed. I see that changing a bit in today's society, a topic I have written about in the past. People are becoming more " offensive " rather than " defensive " in their demeanor. The strategy today being, strike first! Impose your will upon the other before they get a chance to impose theirs, be forceful. Strangely enough, the reason for doing so is you are " offended! " A bit of a contradiction. But when we can just type our responses into cyberspace relatively free of consequence, the game changes drastically. That's why we form " groups " little communities of like minded folks. Same as in real life! Amazing isn't it? No, it's reality. And then in those groups fractures begin to appear. The only way to avoid expanding those fractures is by silence. Silence gives consent. The only question being, how long can you remain silent? For me, it isn't very long. I'll speak up whether I agree or disagree. I want everyone to understand how I feel. No guessing. Whether you like it or not is your decision to make, not mine. About whatever the topic is I mean and you are entitled to that. Also the reason I don't stay silent. Qui tacet consentire vedetur.  

No comments:

Post a Comment