Friday, July 26, 2019

fact or philosophy

 Philosophy is defined as the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence. That is especially so when considered as an academic discipline. Fact is defined as that what is known or proved to be true. So is philosophy fact? I think philosophy may be fact to the philosopher, to the one doing the philosophizing. It is certainly known to that person but there does remain the burden of proof. Can it be proven to be true? That's the crux of the whole matter isn't it? That is the reason we think of philosophy as nothing more than thoughts. We may adopt those thoughts as an action plan, a guidepost so to speak, believing them to be correct, but the proof lies with others. The proof is in the validation of those thoughts. 
 I've never taken any advanced classes in such things as philosophy. It can be an academic discipline. I'm a bit curious as to what you would learn. I'm thinking you would just read and study what other philosophers had to say about the fundamental nature of things. Then it would be up to you to either agree or disagree with those thoughts and ideas. I wonder how would you be graded on such a subject? Would it be based upon your ability to identify what philosopher said what? I can't see where it makes a difference who said what, but rather it makes a difference what you believe to be true. But even then, the truth is subjective in the area of philosophy. Fact is what is proven to be true, can you prove philosophy? Is there a right and wrong answer?
 I wasn't really aware that what I was writing was philosophy. I've just been writing down my thoughts. Turns out a good number of these blog postings are just that, philosophy. I say it often and believe it to be true, there is little you can say that hasn't been said before. That would be true with philosophy as well. I don't think there is much that hasn't been thought about before! We are all philosophers. Our philosophy is shaped by our circumstance. Our philosophy changes with those circumstances as well. Our reality changes affecting our existence. Remember philosophy is the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality and existence. So the philosophical question becomes, where does the fundamental nature of knowledge come from? Is knowledge truth? Knowledge is fact. Facts are proven how? By general acceptance is the answer. When the majority agree, based on experimentation, experience or practical understanding something becomes fact. Knowledge can be described as the application of fact. But fundamental knowledge remains, that which is inherent in a person. It is what we call intelligence.
 We present our philosophy as fact. That is simply because it is what we believe to be truth at the moment. We may change that philosophy at any time. It can happen instantly with the addition of another fact or the disproving of a fact that we previously believed. We can change fact! Getting you to adopt my fact is another thing altogether. In order to do that I have to change your fundamental knowledge, your understanding. I have to get you to change your philosophy. What is more important, philosophy or fact? Philosophy is thought, fact is reality. But then my thoughts create my reality. My thoughts don't create yours however. Which is reality? Now that's something to think about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment