Sunday, July 29, 2018

time travel

 The past few days I've gone fishing and crabbing. As a result I haven't been on social media very much or listened to the news. I certainly haven't missed the drama but do feel a bit uninformed. Just what have I missed? I'm certain Trump has been blamed for something and should be impeached for whatever it is. Those folks on the left are relentless in their pursuit of a victory for Hillary. never mind the election has long since been lost. Maybe if they get to impeach somebody, anybody they will quiet down some, but probably not.
 The other news I did hear about was the return of remains from North Korea. I hope that it brings some comfort and closure to folks. Surely those that miss those people are elderly now themselves. t has been 65 years since that conflict ended. I know that because it was seven days after my birth. A date easy to remember. I have known a few veterans from that war, sadly they have all passed on. I read a few comments about this on social media with mixed feelings/emotions. It was questioned why those remains are wrapped in the flag of the United Nations. I offered my opinion but was soon reminded that the forces of the allies fought under the flag of the United Nations and so that was why. I thanked the man reminding me of that bit of history. There were others that were leaving negative comments. I know that is to be expected but it angers me somewhat. Why not allow folks the opportunity to be grateful and feel some relief after 65 years? But no, I read remarks about we don't know who they are, and how remains in the past were returned only to be proven not what they were presented to be. Why throw cold water on that, why dash their hopes on the rocks? Is it because you don't like Trump? What a petty thing to do.
 While fishing I did have time to just sit and think. I was sitting on a bridge that spans the Chesapeake bay. I do enjoy watching the various boats going to and fro. There are the recreational boaters and the commercial ones. The smell of the water and a light breeze is a wining combination every time. The new span runs a few hundreds yards away from the old and you do hear the sound of the traffic. That is a strange experience if you grew up on the bay. I'm still not used to hearing semi-trucks while I'm fishing. It is a nice place to go however. There is no admission charge, benches and picnic tables are provided along with portable toilets. All the conveniences of home. Yesterday I did manage to catch a few blue gills, returned them to the bay and five blue crabs. My wife steamed the crabs and my grandson will enjoy them. Life is best with the simple things. No electronics required for eating crabs! Having only a few makes you enjoy them that much more. It is moderation that makes everything special. That's something I point out a lot. If everyone gets the trophy it just doesn't mean very much does it?
 I do enjoy the outdoors. Well, I should say the outdoors in warm weather. I'm not much on the cold weather stuff. I'm certain it would be different had I learned to ski or had snowmobiles when I was young. I did enjoy ice skating, but as a social event not as a sport. Strangely I did miss the social media . Yes, I admit to that, I did miss it somewhat. I didn't post a blog yesterday as I was " gone fishin' " I'm staying home today and catch up on some chores. I have a part to replace on my car, laundry to do and some maintenance on my fishing and crabbing equipment. You do have to maintain your stuff. Being retired I can just go whenever the mood strikes! Now that's living. I'm thinking about a trip to Assateague Island to go clamming. I did go once last year, got one clam! No matter felt good to scratch anyway.
 Yes, after all these years I still get that itch. I do want to do the things of my childhood. Fishing, clamming, scalloping, and all the things of the bay. Some men say their heart belongs to the Ocean but mine belongs to her sister, the bay. Even a bay with two bridges spanning it. Those bridges are the longest fixed water crossings in the state of Maryland. They are also some of the longest spans over water in the world. And I smile when I see a fishing boat tending his trot line alongside those spans. Men still working the bay, the way they always have. A timeless tradition still alive but on life support. May I never see it end. Yesterday you could say I went time traveling, back to my youth. I took my grandson with me, doesn't get much better than that.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment