Monday, July 9, 2018

jumping the past

 Last night on the history channel there was a live event. There was this guy, Travis Pastrana, attempting to complete three of Evel Knievel's most famous jumps. I stayed up long enough to see the first, an hour into the show. I won't tell the result in case you haven't seen or heard it. I haven't see the results of the other two, if they both took place. I have DVR'd the show and will watch later today. I knew nothing about this Pastrana before last evening. He is quite the accomplished rider and daredevil in his own right. Not being a person that is into motocross or the x-games I really had no reason to hear about his feats. He comes from Annapolis Maryland just a bit down the road from me. In a way he is a hometown boy if you subscribe to that sort of thing, you know, jumping on the bandwagon of celebrity and all. Whatever the case may be, I am interested to watch as he " pays tribute " to his childhood idol Evel Knievel.
 I admire how he insisted upon using the same type of motorcycle as Evel Knievel used. It was impressed upon us laypeople that Evel Knievels bikes weigh 350 lbs and have a suspension travel of about 4 inches whereas the bike Travis Pastrana would normally use weighs 210 lbs and has a 12inch suspension travel. I don't ride motorcycles but understand the difference would be a problem. It takes nerve to mount and attempt to out Evel, Evel Knievel! I have nothing but respect for that guy. The fact that he remained true to the original speaks volumes. Like I said, I did watch the first jump and it was like watching my childhood all over again. There he was, in those white leathers with the blue stripes and stars, cape flying behind. He had the white boots on and did a wheelie the length of the jump. And there he went, full speed up the ramp! And yes, when I was a kid I had that Evel Knievel stunt cycle toy and spent hours with that.
 I did get to thinking about all of that. I remember when Evel Knievel caught the attention of the world by crashing at Caesars Palace. After that, he was the man! He did become an icon, the first great daredevil. And then I thought you can't out Evel, Evel Knievel! That would be like trying to out Elvis, Elvis. It isn't going to happen, not ever. But then I realized he wasn't trying to do that at all, he was just paying homage. I'm certain there will be a certain amount of financial gain for him, some notoriety as well, but I don't believe he thinks he can reach the level of Evel. This guy has already done a double back flip on a motorcycle at the x-games! I didn't hear about that so that tells you something right there. What would a guy have to do to outdo Evel Knievel? The answer is there isn't anything I can think of. I do think that Michael Jackson came as close to eclipsing Elvis as anyone will ever come. His popularity reached that level but he never had the appeal to as broad a base as Elvis. You aren't going to out Elvis, Elvis!
 I wonder who will be next? In my opinion there hasn't been any real " super groups " in quite a while. I mean groups like the Beatles or the Rolling Stone. Where are the groups that have #1 hit after #1 year after year. It seems to me they just aren't there. I can't think of a " superhuman " like Elvis or Evel in the last twenty years or so. Yes there are those that have staying power, like Cher, Dolly Parton and the like. They have their house shows in Vegas doing their old hits. Elvis had new hits every year until he died. It is my feeling he would have continued to do so had he lived longer. Even when he was overweight and barely fitting into those jump suits he still had " IT " whatever it was. Travis Pastrana is trying to recreate Evel Knievel as a tribute. Yes, I believe that is his intent. Strangely Evel gained famed for crashing! If Pastrana didn't crash and completes that iconic jump will he feel like he is better than Evel? I will say this much, he got my attention. Mission accomplished! 

No comments:

Post a Comment