Friday, July 20, 2018

I don't have to

 I won't mention any names but I do have conversations with folks of a different political flavor than myself. These discussion may be just a brief comment, a meme, and sometimes protracted debates. I've lost a few friends and acquaintances over the course of a few years. It's a two way street and that is as it should be. Of course I feel I am right or I wouldn't be arguing for my point, that's just common sense. Opinions can be debated and beliefs questioned. That is also as it should be. Problems arise when attempting to determine fact. Facts can be nothing more than what you believe! Yes, it's true, there are facts that are merely beliefs. So how can we arrive at a standard answer, a matter of fact? We can only do that by mutual consent.
  In my experience most belief is acquired through peer pressure. And if it isn't peer pressure it is the desire of the individual to fit in. How firmly do you believe? Well, I read somewhere that if you want to know what you really believe, write. It is something I have been doing for a number of years now, in the form of these blog postings. I have discovered beliefs I hold that I wasn't aware of. I can honestly say I haven't found any major beliefs that I felt a need to change. I'll leave that up to someone else to decide, I'm confident in my beliefs. I think that stems from the fact that I realize they are just my beliefs and not necessarily yours. I will try to convince you of my belief if yours is contrary to that belief.
 Yesterday I had an experience that I found most troubling. I was engaged in one of these discussions of belief and fact. The discussion turned to standing for the national anthem. I firmly believe that you should do that in every situation and instance. Regardless of your like or dislike for the President, the law enforcement agencies of the United States, or any real or perceived injustices being perpetrated against any one! I had posted a picture of a boy being presented that National Ensign, folded into the familiar triangle shape, at the funeral of what we can assume is his father or mother. My comment was, this is why we stand for the anthem. I was answered with the posting of a link detailing the origins of standing for the anthem. It was an interesting read and I did learn some things about the practice I hadn't known before. To be brief it explained the custom was started in part by a Senator Burrows at graduation ceremonies for West Point. The intent was to draw attention to that song and the words to it while remembering and honoring those that served under her colors. In short, a sign of respect.
 After I read the link I copy and pasted a portion of that link to cite that very sentiment. I posted that in response to support my belief, my contention, that is why we should stand for the anthem. The response from the person initially posting the link was what troubled me. The response, I don't have to do anything, it's not a law. There is no requirement for me to stand for the playing of the national anthem. I agreed that there is no law saying so, no legislation demanding that, but rather it should be done as a matter of respect. I went on to say how some people, a majority of people in my opinion, understand the meaning behind that show of respect and find it demeaning, disrespectful and just plain wrong to ignore that. Again the response was, but I don't have to! And that response was from a grown man! It was in that moment I came to another realization, he really didn't understand at all.
 It was an amazing thing. What I read was, you're right about the meaning and purpose of that tradition, but I don't have to. You're right, but right is wrong! Think about that for just a few minutes. this person is saying, " I fully understand why you feel the way you do about that tradition. It is a tradition to show honor and respect, in a symbolic fashion, to every soldiers and citizen of this country that has defended her. It symbolizes that sentiment of love of country." And that is followed by, " but I don't have to. " 

No comments:

Post a Comment