Saturday, July 21, 2018

By all means

 I heard on the news that Trumps former lawyer secretly taped conversations with him. In these secret recordings Trump discusses payments to a former Playboy model. It is supposed to be some kind of bombshell and could lead to Trumps' impeachment and going to jail! Well, we'll just have to wait and see about that. I haven't heard much more than that and so I'm not getting all excited about it. I understand those on the left are already salivating like a dog with a bone. That's nothing new and is to be expected. Sadly, it is human nature to wish the worst in situations like this. We all love a good scandal! It is a chink in the armor of our morals. Granted some are more vocal about it than others but we are all prey to that emotion. It probably has something to do with social standing, status and perceived injustices. There is just something about seeing the powerful brought down.
 I haven't forgotten about the Stormy Daniels deal either. She had signed a confidentiality agreement   for the sum of 180,000 dollars. Then she decides to tell all! Apparently that is allowed in some fashion as I haven't seen any action taken against her legally. Not being a lawyer I just assumed she broke the law when she told. I mean wasn't that the agreement? And if that agreement isn't enforceable what is the purpose of it in the first place? It surely seems cut and dried to me. But that whole thing has died down somewhat although I heard she was arrested, then charges were dropped. Remember that guy they called the " Teflon Don? " He hasn't got a thing on Stormy Daniels! After all, in a strip club, with all eyes on the performer, she commits a crime and then no one sees it? The police arrest her but drop the charges?
 No matter your feelings toward Trump, Daniels or anyone else for that matter this leaves me wondering. I wonder what the law really is? Can a lawyer secretly tape his clients and then use those tapes for his own purposes? I realize I have only heard this on television but I believed their was a lawyer/client confidentiality thing. If, well not if, allegedly he has, broken that agreement isn't he subject to censor? But then surrendering your license to practice law isn't as big a deal as one would initially think. I won't name anyone but a few prominent individuals come to mind that did exactly that. The line is, my license wasn't revoked, I just choose not to renew it. Yeah, okay if you say so. I have to admit it hasn't hurt those folks financially! Could it be that lawyer has plans of his own? I don't know but I'm not a big conspiracy guy. I'm more of a why would someone do whatever kinda guy. It's usually for one of several reasons, money, fame or revenge. Human motivations aren't that difficult to understand, we all share them. Yes some will act upon those motivations, and others will just sit on them.
 All of this just goes to show me something I have noticed over the years is true. When we begin to replace morality and ethics with the letter of the law, both suffer. There was a day when a handshake was enough. A man's word was his bond. Then the lawyers got involved. We started writing this stuff down, putting it in stone so to speak. The meaning and intent that it was made permanent. It was back in the day when we were more concerned with what we " should " be doing than what was the minimum requirement. We started requiring a written guarantee because we no longer could trust the word of our neighbor. There was also no recourse to us if we didn't have that " legal " guarantee. Yes, we became civilized. Funny thing is, civilization is based on people acting in a civilized manner, acting, dare I say, as Gentlemen, bound by Gentlemen's agreements. An idea, a concept, that for the most part is scoffed at today. And sadly, it is accepted as the normal course of events. But what if we are dismissing these " legal " requirements as well? What if we accept the notion that the ends always justifies the means? All bets are off! It's every man or woman for themselves. And isn't that exactly what we are seeing today? It's all about me and what I want. " By any means necessary "             

No comments:

Post a Comment