Tuesday, July 10, 2018

The reality of Time

 And just like that, it's mid-summer. July the tenth, ten days till my birthday and the back to school supplies are on the shelf at Walmart. Memorial day has come and gone, the fourth of July has been celebrated, and this year debated. Up next, labor day. That's right labor day. And then the summer is over. Again I find myself asking, where does the time go? When school begins this fall my grandson will be a senior! A senior? How can that be? Well, truth be told I'll be 65 years old in a few days myself, 65 years. That's a long time. Regardless of all the catchy witticisms about growing older sixty five years is a long time! It was only 115 years ago that man took his first airplane ride. So, looked at in context 65 is a long time. The year I was born Queen Elizabeth II was crowned, the first color television sets were sold, the Polio vaccine was released to the public, the first Corvette was sold and James Bond himself was born! The Queen is still there, but all that other stuff has changed, dramatically!
 I planted my tomatoes and cukes a little later this year and so don't have a harvest just yet. They are coming though. I have yet to go to the beach. I haven't been fishing, crabbing or clamming either! And the summer is half over. Time is sure slipping away fast and I can't seem to get a grip. Well, truth be told I'm not even trying. I find making plans, even plans for recreational activities, to be stressful. I wonder why that is? Is it a product of aging? I'm thinking it must be. I'm not as spontaneous as I once was, unless it comes to taking naps, then I'm ready all the time. For everything else it seems I need to be prepared. I don't why that should be, I have no job, no obligation to be anywhere, and no one to answer to but myself, and my wife. And my wife doesn't have a lot of demands either, she will pretty much go with the flow as well. Maybe it is just a lack of motivation. When you are happy and contented with your surroundings why plan for anything more?
 I do think some of this comes from the media. We are constantly being bombarded with " entertainment " choices. We are told that not only should we go on vacations, we deserve them. It is practically mandatory that we go and do things and we should feel deprived if we don't. How many commercials do you see with people running on the beach, drinking adult beverages, traveling, attending concerts, playing golf, or otherwise just having fun. That is what life is all about right? Just having fun. It's why we work and save our money. Then we can vacay! Yes, that's the new catch word I hear all the time, Vacay! We even have staycations when it isn't a three day weekend. Maybe that is what I've been doing, having an extended staycation. Now I'm starting to feel like a need a vacation from my staycation! Is there no satisfying me?
 I did wake up thinking that summer is going by pretty quickly. I am thinking about going crabbing or maybe clamming. I have to drive a good distance to do either one, so it is a day trip. I do enjoy them but the motivation to go often doesn't override the hassle involved. Like I said, the planning gets to be stressful. I don't know, a lack of interest maybe? But I'm supposed to be all fired up about doing this stuff aren't I? The answer is no, I am under no obligation to do anything. But if I were to tell a " professional " about this I would probably be given a prescription! Yes, there are drugs for this, at least that is what is advertised. Better living through chemistry, or just smoking something might help. That message is broadcast quite a bit. If I am not living " life to fullest " I'm being cheated. I need to take action, therapy or some form of treatment. But just what is a " full " life? Well I guess that depends upon whether the " life " is half full or half empty in the eyes of the one living that life. I figure I'm about half full, I'm still adding to it. I wasted a lot of time just having fun and it's time to consider the realities. Realities aren't a bad thing, although there are many today that seem to think so. I'm thinking that is why all the distractions are necessary. All this concern with having a good time. All this concern with time itself.
 Now having spent some of my time writing down these thoughts it is time to move along. I've got a garden to water. Time well spent. That's a phrase I hear a lot. We are told to spend our time wisely. Don't waste your time. Time waits for no man and only time will tell. Each moment is precious right? " Let us never know what old age is. Let us know the happiness time brings, not count the years. " ( Ausonius ) Yes, I agree. Time does bring happiness if you allow that process to take place. You can't force it, you can't manufacture that, patience is the key.      

No comments:

Post a Comment