Monday, January 1, 2018

measuring time

  Well we made another trip around the sun. At least that is the popular thinking on this. I say my journey around the sun began in July and so my year ends and begins in July. It could be argued that I was here nine months prior to that so that would be October. Whatever the case, my year doesn't begin and end on Jan the first. This cycle isn't complete for me. I've got another 200 days to go. Then on that Friday, 6 months and 19 days from today, another trip around the sun will have been completed since my birth. You can't have everyone start on the same day, that's just silly. Something I have noticed is in the past your trip was recorded in full on your headstone. Older stones will often contain the age of the individual down to month and day. The message to me is clear, each day mattered, each day was of importance. My thinking is that fell out of favor due to cost, now the year is close enough. I think I would like a full accounting on my marker please. The newest trend is to put a picture of the deceased on that stone. I've seen a few like that and I'm not certain I like it. Might be alright as long as I get to choose the picture. Then again, how creepy would that be, picking out that picture ?
 January the first is like the opening of a door. New possibilities present themselves. We view it as a chance to start over, a new beginning. As I mentioned yesterday that is only important to mankind. Only man marks the time. We do so by staring at the sky. Having observed the patterns in the sky we began to record that cycle. That was the beginning of time. Was their time before man ? That is a question for a philosopher of far greater ability than myself. A question to be pondered for sure. I would begin by saying yes there was, it was just unmeasured. Can we measure that time ? In order to do so we would have to know the beginning. We would first have to decide upon that wouldn't we ? Where did the earth begin its' journey around the sun ? What was its' position relative to the sun ? Did it start at 12 o'clock ? It did only by man labeling it so. It is a paradox. Can mankind apply a standard to the unknown ? We measure time by the earths' revolution around the sun but the sun takes about 250 million years to circle the galaxy. Then our galaxy is circling other galaxies and the time it takes to do that is immeasurable to man. My conclusion is whatever " clock " you wish to use as the standard, that standard is not set by man, but man is constrained by that. That is why we count the days. Now, did I clear that up for you ?
 Every four years New Years day is a day later. Ever wonder about that ? Why didn't we just make it come out even in the first place ? The reason is simple, because we didn't set the clock ! That is to say we don't control time at all, just attempt to measure it. Back in 1582 Pope Gregory adopted what we know as the Gregorian calendar. He did so because Easter kept moving farther away from the spring equinox. That was happening because the Roman calendar was off by 11 minutes each year. The Gregorian calendar brought it to within 26  seconds a year ! Very impressive for the time. But that is why we have to add a day every four years. Still if we continue to measure time in this way by 4909 the calendar will be a whole day ahead of the solar system ! Will it make a difference ? Only to man. I'm certain it will not effect the universe.
 Every day counts. Live your life with that thought in mind. You really don't have time to spare. May this new year bring you health and happiness. It all awaits your arrival. So walk through the door, greet the day and be happy. Happy New Year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment