Tuesday, January 23, 2018

my day

 Seventeen years ago today I became a grandfather. Okay, so my grandson and daughter in law had a little to do with that, my son too,  but I became a grandfather. It happened about five in the evening. Now, being the modern, hip sorta guy I am, I am making this event all about me. That's what we do today. I became a grandfather, the patriarch of the family, and with that comes privilege. I must be respected, revered even, I earned that by assuming the role of Grandfather !
 Isn't that the craziest thing ? Yet, that is exactly how a lot of folks seem to think today, it's always about them. My grandson was a gift to me. I accepted that gift unconditionally and have been rewarded many times over. This day I will celebrate his arrival and celebrate all that he brought with him. He is bringing it still ! It started with a rush of love, a love felt in my heart like no other I had felt before. As he grew and experienced new things in his life there were times when I was afraid for him. The things I encouraged my own children to do, I hesitated with my grandson. I was afraid he might get hurt. I felt an anxiety for him that was missing when my own were young. Sometimes I wonder if it was just because I got old,  or maybe it was because I grew wiser. Whatever the reason, I did feel a different sense of trepidation when he tried new things.
 But today he is 17. Seventeen years is a considerable amount of time. He has certainly grown in statue and in wisdom. A naturally intelligent and inquiring sort of kid, he has done well. Yes, of course I am proud of him, he is my grandson. The truth is by any measure he is a responsible, polite, kind and caring individual. I believe he will be a man that walks quietly through the world but will leave big tracks. He isn't easily lead and stays the course until he feel a change is necessary. He does posses a confidence and one without arrogance. But now I'm just bragging.
 This morning he will drive to school and I'll go along for the ride. That is what seventeen years can do. I remember well taking him to the bus stop. I remember meeting him at the bus stop at the end of the day. I 've been there every step of the way and it has been a wonderful journey. When he gets home today, we will celebrate. Well, we will celebrate for just a little while, he has to go to work. Yes, on his birthday ! You know you're growing up when that happens. You know he is growing up when he isn't complaining about that ! Welcome to seventeen Mark. Now, I've got to go get ready to celebrate. After all it was on this day I became a grandfather, me, me , me. I want cake and ice cream, and presents.     

No comments:

Post a Comment