Friday, January 19, 2018

a gift


Wealth without work.
Pleasure without conscience.
Knowledge without character.
Commerce without morality.
Science without humanity.
Worship without sacrifice.
Politics without principle.

 The above list, if you are not familiar with it is called " The Seven Social Sins " and was written by Frederick Lewis Donaldson, an Anglican priest. At first he called them the seven deadly social sins. He listed them in a sermon at Westminster Abbey in London on March 20, 1925. Gandhi, yes that Gandhi, is often given credit for them because he published them in his newspaper. I admit to not being real familiar with either of these gentlemen. Gandhi is certainly far more well known that Donaldson and perhaps that is why he gets credit. I haven't read the actual newspaper article Gandhi published and so can't say if he attributed Donaldson with the work or not. Whatever the case may be, the message remains the same. 
 Earlier this week we celebrated MLK day. He is best remembered for his dream speech. A speech where he speaks to the character of a man, not to the color of his skin. Gandhi was fighting against British rule and Dr. King for a measure of freedom as well. I was reminded of a previous blog of mine concerning these seven social sins. It is interesting that Donaldson was a priest, Dr. King a minister and Gandhi an activist, although most people think of him as some sort of religious leader. Many view him as a saint. My point being all were men of faith. All certainly agreed with Donaldson. 
 I have yet to publish a reprint. That is to say just repost an earlier blog. This morning however I was thinking about those seven social sins and how they relate to the current day situation in America, Each one is fairly self explanatory. Pick any one of them and you relate it easily enough. Take science without humanity as an example. It isn't hard for me to know what that means. Another on that list is Pleasure without Conscience ! Today we would rephrase that, if it feels good, just do it ! As long as it doesn't hurt someone else, it's alright. That is eliminating conscience from the equation entirely. The truth is you are hurting yourself when you go against your conscience and that should concern you. It is my belief that lack of concern will cost you in the end, one way or another. 
 When I started writing this piece it wasn't my intent to preach. I wanted to share, once again, that list that I find so applicable to us all. That was written by a man I would think the majority of us have never heard of. He was just an Anglican priest in London after all. He was successful in his chosen profession that can't be denied. He is buried at Westminster Abbey, a great honor. Gandhi read the sermon containing these seven sins and published them in his newspaper. Because of his widespread fame they became attributed to him. It is that,  my thoughts wandered too. Gandhi made that list known. Gandhi spread the word of Donaldson. If he hadn't published them in his newspaper how many of us would be aware of them today ? I'm speculating here but I think, not many. I also think that Donaldson wouldn't care. He was spreading his truth and that is what was of importance to him. The truth is the reward. That is what I think anyway. Will someone somewhere publish my thoughts ? Could be, and then they get the credit whether they want it or not. I'm thinking if that person already had a measure of fame that could happen quite easily. If a person is famous a lot of things they say are admired, even when perhaps they don't deserve it. Many ride fame having only created one wave ! 
 I guess what I'm trying to say here this morning is that I remain hopeful. One day someone may read what I have written and find some value in it. Just like Gandhi found the words of Donaldson to be so important to him. Was Donaldson rewarded for his words in his lifetime ? I can't answer that question but I question whether it mattered to Donaldson anyway. I admit I want acknowledgement, some validation for my thoughts, I am just a regular person. I wouldn't say I am driven, more like I'm along for the ride.  Your best " work " isn't done for reward. Calvin Coolidge perhaps expressed this best when he said, " No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave. "  

No comments:

Post a Comment