Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Who knew ?

 I really enjoy Facebook and the social interaction it affords. I like reading other peoples thoughts and seeing their pictures. It's a wonderful thing to share with old friends, classmates and acquaintances. Distance and time may separate us but Facebook does bring us all closer.
 I was thinking about that and this thought came to mind. Most of us knew our Aunts and Uncles and our Grandparents when we were growing up. The reasons for that are many but I think it is an accurate statement. My mother was one of ten children. I knew some of the aunts, the ones Mom got along with anyway. I had cousins galore but knew few of them. That was because the aunts mom hung out with didn't have kids and the ones that did, she didn't. Sounds funny doesn't it but you get the drift ?  Anyway, my grandchildren all know Grandma and Grandpa. We are fortunate enough to interact with them frequently. That's a good thing. Now my sisters children have heard of me, and even met me a few times, but I am more legend than fact to them. What I mean is they have heard far more stories about me than they have had actual contact. My sister is married to an Air Force guy and I was in the Navy. We have been on different sides of the planet at times. The closet we have lived to each other since leaving home has been a thousand miles or so.
 Just yesterday I turn on the computer and get a notification. One of my sisters granddaughters is having a birthday. Lorrie-Ann turned six. Naturally I immediately extended my birthday wishes, telling her Mom to forward my message. That child is my grand-niece. That's correct, I'm wishing her a Happy Birthday from her Grand Uncle ! Funny how we don't give that much though isn't it ? Maybe it is just that I am interested in the family tree that it got my attention. We are aware of our grandchildren but many times not our grandnieces or nephews. At least we don't identify them in that manner. I guess it is the same thing as cousins. We may know our first cousins but seconds, or thirds ? Humm, probably not paying attention then.
 Well at least we have Facebook to close that gap. I do enjoy seeing their pictures and reading whatever stories their parents post for them. It is nice to know the family is moving forward. I love seeing the new faces. A look into the future. I also like the idea that those same faces may get to know mine, just a little bit anyway. I knew my Grand Aunt Mildred when I was young. Thing is, at the time, I was just told she was my aunt. I didn't realize she was sister to my Grandfather. Kids don't make those connections. I wish someone had told me that back then. I always make sure to use my full " title " so as to avoid confusion. Let Mom or Dad explain it to the kids. I imagine it going something like this.  Lorrie-Ann your grand uncle Ben says Happy Birthday. Who is Grand Uncle Ben ? He is your Grandmothers brother. What Grandmother has a brother ? Yes, of course she does. Lorrie-Ann is probably thinking at this point, people that old have brothers ? Well, who knew ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment