Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Challenged

 I've heard about this Tide Pod challenge. I really don't get the challenge. Is it to eat the thing or what ? Okay, I admit it, I really haven't read much about it immediately dismissing it as stupid. It doesn't matter at all. I have teenage grandchildren and I am 100% confident that they will not try it. I still find it hard to believe that anyone would try it. What's the point ? What is it that they are trying to prove ?
 I was reminded of a challenge, we called it a dare, or a double dog dare if it was exceptionally dumb for you to try it. Well, what I did wasn't even a double dog care, it was a test ! Yes, it was called a punk test ! This tested your manhood ! You had to take a quarter and rub it back and forth on the back of your hand 100 times. If you could do that without crying about it, you were a man ! I still have a small scar on my hand from that test. Stupid, you bet, I got an infection from that and it wasn't a good thing. My Dad " cured " that infection and believe me the cure tested your manhood. Straight alcohol poured into that open wound got your attention. Then a scraping out of the bad stuff. Another alcohol bath and wrapping it up. After all of that I learned a lesson. I had been " punked. " I allowed other people to influence my decision making and the result wasn't good. I didn't take any more challenges after that. I was called names a few times for my lack of participation but learned that truth of names will never hurt me.
 I can remember doing a few other stupid things to fit in. I remember spinning around until you couldn't stand up, fun stuff. I tried smoking corn silk, I don't know why. Rumor said if you put aspirin in a Pepsi you would get drunk. I don't think I ever tried that one though. Hmm, now that I get thinking about it I guess I didn't do all that much stupid stuff after all. We did try to do adult stuff though, like smoking and drinking. Yeah, I thought that made you grown up. As for other " adult " activities all I can say is there was far more thinking about it than doing it. Even those girls with a reputation weren't all that cooperative. I just figured those girls were like the guys I knew, a lot of talk.
 This latest challenge just goes to show little changes in the world. Young people will do stupid things for stupid reasons. It is hard for us old folks to understand it. I'm laughing because I do understand it. It's a way to prove yourself, show that you are unafraid. You can be " cool " if only for a minute. I shake my head and mumble, idiots. Few will have any serious side effects from this latest challenge. Social media makes for a much larger audience for your bravery and that is dangerous. I do think most kids have to do this stuff though. It is a part of growing up, call it maturing. It's also true that some of us ripen faster than others. I try to learn the " code " words the kids are using today. It's fun to embarrass the grandkids when you use it in front of their friends. You know, like saying one of their other friends is like totally rachet ! Ah, to be young again. To be back when you knew it all, and were invincible. Little did we know the real challenge was just to face our own challenges. Once you learn that lesson, life gets easier. Then the challenge becomes, putting up with idiots. Sometimes I just feel like eating a Tide Pod myself ! #thatscooldudepodchallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment