Thursday, January 4, 2018

Insight

  You can't gain insight without looking. Seems simple enough doesn't it ? Then why are so many turning a blind eye ? It is a question I scratch my head about daily. As I sit and read the postings of others I am forced to wonder about such things. How is that so many can remain in the dark for so long ? Oh, I know it is all a matter of perspective, but surely we can't all be staring in totally different directions.
 It is a big world although being made smaller by mass media and the Internet. I usually hang out in my little corner of the world, concerning myself with what is happening there. The people are familiar to me and I know what to expect from each one of them. There are pleasant surprises every now and again and that is as it should be. The postings that leave me wondering are the comments left by others, total strangers to me, regarding current events or other discussions. Their world view is so far removed from mine as to cause consternation. We really are in trouble as a society with some of the attitudes I'm seeing. I'm looking, trying to understand, to gain some insight into the thought process involved and am left baffled. So many views flying in the face of common sense.
 As an example I listened to a sermon by a Pastor concerning sin and the forgiveness of that sin. This Pastor was pretty much saying Jesus died for our sins so we don't need to worry about committing sin, we can pretty much do whatever we want. As long as we believe, we will be forgiven ! Big difference from what I was taught. I was taught you still had to obey, that it was obedience that may gain the forgiveness we all need. No, forgiveness isn't a guarantee ! That is why it is called judgement ! Seems plain enough to me. It is also why I pray for forgiveness, humbly beseeching God for his mercy. To put it plainly, I ask. That doesn't mean I get it ! But this isn't about a religious philosophy, this is the general philosophy I am seeing today. There is a notion of entitlement permeating our society and tearing it apart. So many feeling they should get whatever they want without having to work for it,  or even ask for it for that mater. They are making demands.
 Another example is all this is this gender identity stuff. I can certainly understand that you may feel one way, but you can not deny biology. It is common sense ! Regardless of any feelings or surgeries involved there are two genders. I fail to understand how anyone can deny that fact, demanding some fantasy third gender be recognized as a valid choice ? Yet, that exists today in California where you can list your newborn as Gender X on a birth certificate. The attending physician, after attending college, medical school, and serving an internship can not identify the sex of the child ? Think about that for a minute. Well, it's true they are not mind-readers and only base their conclusions on science.
 The only thing I can figure is that you can't see when your view is being obstructed. That is what is happening today. So many alternate views are being presented that the truth is hidden. It all comes down to having to make a decision. It's an old cliché but the truth of it is obvious, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You really need to recognize fact from fiction. It's true that in many cases the best we can do is to go with the majority of the peoples feelings. We call that voting ! The ideal situation is that the voters are informed, knowing the facts of the proposal. Problem being deciding upon the facts. When facts are based on feelings the results are always contentious. You have to look beyond your feelings to be informed. What I would like, is not always what is best ! Seems a number of folks need to be reminded of that lesson, to gain that one simple insight. It is then that progress can be made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment