Wednesday, January 24, 2018

one of the others

 With all the recent uproar concerning the DACA dreamers and the whole immigration thing in general I am reminded of a blog I wrote some time ago. It is just confirmation that not much changes in the world. That blog was entitled " butimahs " That is to be pronounced, but I'm a. I wrote that piece seven years ago. It was in response to all those folks you met that feel laws, rules or regulations just don't apply to them because they are somehow special, or exempt. Age, race, gender, social standing or educational level does not figure into this either, a " butimha " can be anyone. Butimahs self identify as above everyone else, the rules just don't apply to them. Whatever accomplishment they have achieved or perceived is excuse enough to be a butimah.
 Now there are those that will not use this designation directly preferring a more oblique approach. These folks don't say butimah, they say, butmy. Yes, they will preface their excuses and explanations with But MY. For instance, they are parked in the handicapped spot illegally. When confronted they will respond with, but my wife, son, daughter, 2nd cousin on my mothers side once removed, is only running in the store for a minute. Their ability to just ignore rules and regulation hinges upon someone else, it's not their choice. They wouldn't be parked there at all but their ( but my ) wife really needed a tic-tac.
 Yeah, nothing much changes in the world except for the excuses. You are in the country illegally and will be deported. Oh no, butimah undocumented immigrant ! That means I don't have to be subject to the rules. We have a strict dress code in this office. Butimah Muslim I don't have to comply with those rules, You have to pay your student loans back. Butimah college graduate with a liberal arts degree and can't get a job. You have to use the restroom specific to your gender. Butimah gender neutral person. Well, you get the idea here.
 There is another group that are very mysterious. The are the " others. " Almost exclusively called someone else they never follow rules. The others do all sort of damage. They are the one that take the last cup of coffee or make a mess. No one seems to know exactly who these people are, but they are everywhere. If you get caught doing something you shouldn't you can blame the others, or everyone else. What makes you think you can do that ? Everyone else was doing it is the immediate response. Or you might hear, other people do it. Well then, that explains that doesn't it.
 Like I said I wrote about this about seven years ago and it sure hasn't changed much. I'd say we got more creative in the use of these " reasons. " We have begun to master the art of just renaming the behavior. The latest one I heard was from the brand new Police Commissioner for the city of Baltimore. When asked what his new strategy would be to identify, arrest and convict criminals he responded with this : predictive policing. His plan is to look for the people that may actually be committing these crimes, predicting where to send the police. Now, don't get this confused with " profiling. " We wouldn't want to profile anyone, we'll just make some predictions based on, well we are not saying what these predictions are based on, it's a secret.
 I was born on Long Island in 1953 the fourth child of natural born American citizens. My fathers family came from Germany in 1856 and my Grandmother came from Sweden in 1902. Both married Americans. There are those that would now say, Butimah immigrant ! I say, I'm no immigrant Butmy grandparents were. I must one of those others. You know, the ones that are always doing stuff the Butimahs and Butmy's don't want to take credit for. Those that feel they are somehow special or better than others. I'm happy be to one of the others. I accept responsibilty for my choices and my actions. It is the others that get stuff done. The others are just Butts ! Take that any way you like.         

No comments:

Post a Comment