Tuesday, January 9, 2018

disinterested

 I didn't watch the Golden globes, whatever they are. I could care less about people giving awards to themselves. I have never seen the fascination others have with that whole deal. Why would I be interested in watching a bunch of rich, self centered folks tell each other how wonderful they are ? Oh, look at the fancy clothes ! Yeah, they spend more on a dress than the average working guy spends on his car, that's something to admire alright. These are the folks that when they " work " have their lunches catered, and twenty or thirty other people supporting them, doing their hair, makeup or whatever. Working so hard ! And they are only making, as a minimum, hundreds of thousands of dollars. The " stars " make millions for doing what ? Pretending to be someone they are not is the short answer. They entertain us. But money and fame isn't enough, they have to need to give themselves awards ! I do think there is one award where the ask the opinion of the people actually watching their films, how generous of them. But, whatever I don't watch any of those shows.
 I couldn't help but hear that Oprah made a big speech. Okay, jumping on the bandwagon about " me too " although I don't think she said, me too. I did find it strange that they decided to all wear a black dress. I thought the little black dress was something women wore to attract men, a sort of signal. I also thought that is why women wear those dresses that either accentuate their breasts or almost expose them. Isn't the intent to draw attention to yourself ? Just whose attention are you trying to attract ? Well if you put the bait out there, don't be surprised when you get a bite is all I can say. I know it isn't as simple as all that, but it is an observation. I would say this is doubly so in an industry where the main attribute is looks. We can all name more than one " actress " whose beauty far outweighed her " talent. " On a side note, with all this " coming out " stuff in the last several years this has never happened to a guy ? I mean, guys have never approached other guys and said something inappropriate or been touched ? Humm, that doesn't seem likely , yet I don't hear any " me toos " from that demographic. Whatever. From all accounts Oprah is now going to run for President on the " me too " platform. Good Luck Oprah, let the voters decide is all I can say about that.  I'd say she stands a good chance of gathering a lot of votes from the liberals of the land. She is African-American, a woman, a movie star and very successful. Now, if she would just come out as Gay, Bi, Lesbian, gender neutral or whatever she would have it all ! The perfect storm of a candidate.
 Well for those of you that enjoy this stuff, have fun. It is award season. That time of the year for all the actors and actresses to once again tell each other they are brilliant and oh so relevant. I'll watch them when it amuses me and ignore them when they don't. That is how much relevance they have in my life. A simple amusement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment