Thursday, January 18, 2018

plastic heirloom ?

 A heirloom is something of special value handed down from one generation to another. The item itself does not necessarily have any monetary value, the value lies in sentiment. I jokingly call many things I have heirlooms. I tease the wife and grandkids with that all the time. Yesterday my wife grabs her watering can and Mark, my grandson says, you still have that old thing ? I, of course, immediately tell him it's a family heirloom. He just gives me that look. Senile old man. He does say Grandma has had that thing forever. I have to smile because it is the truth. Well, that is obviously an exaggeration. I don't known when we bought it. It has been around a while, sixteen years maybe, that would be his forever. It's made out of plastic. Can an heirloom be made out of plastic ? Yes, of course it can I know that but it seems like a foreign idea. Heirlooms are old. Truth is I'm getting old and I have a few things made out of plastic that could very well become heirlooms, if they aren't already. Somehow it just doesn't seem right.
 Sentiment requires a host. If the sentiment doesn't have a host we call it a memory. Memories are rather frail things subject to being forgotten. Sentiment resides in an object of some type and is preserved by that object. The object can be a reminder.  As long as the story has been told or written down that object will hold the memory. Sentiment can be lost. That happens when the object no longer causes an emotional response in anyone. In much the same way a song can transport you to another time or place, so too an heirloom object. The amazing thing is how an heirloom can effect generations that had no direct contact with that treasure. All that is required is knowledge of a connection. My wife has a rolling pin that belonged to her grandmother. I never knew or met this lady. I made a display rack to hold it and identify where it came from. It is an heirloom to me despite never having known the owner. I have no memory of her, yet feel sentiment. 
 I've seen the show about people that are hoarders. They seem to form a sentimental connection to every object they come into contact with. We normal people just don't understand that at all. If I believed in the paranormal I would say they are channeling former owners through these objects. I don't believe that and figure these folks just have an aversion to throwing out good stuff. I understand the concept of good. One man's trash is indeed another's mans' treasure. I'm thinking those folks confuse sentiment with potential. Every object has the potential to become an heirloom to someone. All that is required is a memory. Each object does hold value. I'm thinking I could become a hoarder it I don't hold myself in check. 
 The thing about heirlooms is that they are not handed down, they are chosen. That is how an object gains that status. I may assign great value to an object and you reject that. Take that plastic watering can as an example. Mark may want that one day, saying that was Grandmas' thus assigning value. You just never know for sure what will be " saved " and what gets set aside. I may insist that certain things be kept, promises for their safekeeping extracted but it doesn't guarantee heirloom status. Having something and saying, this was of great value to someone else is not the same as it having great value to you. We all operate on our own value system. A plastic watering can ? Could be. Truth is I'll never know what things of mine obtain heirloom status, if any. For that reason I should just enjoy them for what they are. I chuckle when I see folks buying " collectibles " believing they will become valuable or an heirloom some day. You may see a monetary increase in a " collectable " item. Thing is, you can't buy an heirloom. Heirlooms are purchased by others and valued by you. Sentiment is the currency and memory the bank. Isn't that why we say, store it in your memory bank ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment