Saturday, April 29, 2017

Honest diplomacy ?

 It is sometimes difficult to reconcile the loss of yesterday with the promise of tomorrow. This becomes increasingly difficult as we age. The reason is a simple one, tomorrows begin to run short. You do have to accept that fact. We are doing everything we can to extend that time, increase our tomorrows. You can say it is reaching the point of obsession with some. But I don't think it is longer life that they are becoming obsessed with, rather the regaining of youth. The products advertised on television and in magazines are directed at that. Magic pills to return youth and vigor ! Usually marketed as essential to your " quality of life. " The subliminal message is, life is between twenty and forty years old. If you can't " perform " as you did back then your quality of life is being negatively impacted. I tend to disagree with that message. " The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature " ( Marcus Aurelius. ) I believe he is saying do not try to remain young, be reasonable and behave in a mature fashion, nurturing wisdom as you age. In short, don't be an old fool !
 Ponce De Leon  went in search of the fountain of youth. That is telling isn't it. He wasn't searching for a fountain to make you live longer, no he wanted to be young again. I guess the thinking was to be young and never age. It is an interesting thought anyway. I just don't think you would enjoy the things of your youth in quite the same way when you are, say sixty. You do have to factor in the mental aspects of life. The excitement of discovery does wane after you have made that discovery ! After you have climbed the same mountain a hundred times it isn't very challenging. Perhaps that is why our bodies begin to fail us, to present us with the challenge of living ! The challenge becomes more of a mental exercise doesn't it ? Sadly some of us will lose our mental facilities. I can't help but feel that perhaps that is a blessing in disguise. Could it be that the metal anguish of lost youth and fewer tomorrows has that effect upon some of us. Science is trying to determine that answer. I do believe that physical changes can occur simply by mental power. It could also be that those same mental powers act subconsciously. I do believe that the brain is a muscle like any other and needs to be exercised regularly. It is important to keep our thoughts young and fit. If you spend more time reliving the past than living for today, wouldn't that become self fulfilling ? I 'm thinking that may be the case.
 The fountain of youth does exist. It exists in our memories. Those memories need to be shared with others to be of any benefit. That is why I feel it is so important that we share them with anyone that will listen. You can never tell when a nugget of wisdom could mean a fortune to another. Call it luck, coincidence, or an act of providence but the smallest thing can make a big difference. The sharing of experience is one of the most human things you can do. I'm not talking about the imposition of your way of doing business, rather just sharing your experience with that same business. The sharing of the results of your actions is what is important. A completely honest disclosure of actions taken and results achieved. The old saying, there is more than one way to skin a cat, is very true. Do not get stuck with believing only one way will get results. What worked for you may not work for another.
 It is this sharing of ourselves that keep us " young. " That is my thinking anyway. I knew my great grandfather quite well. He was a man I admired because of his frank honesty. He just told it like he saw it. He wasn't mean, just blunt. There wasn't a diplomatic bone in his body, although I suspect that wasn't always the case. It is my belief that he learned to set aside diplomacy in favor of truth and an honest assessment of the current situation. Yes there are those that would disagree with me wholeheartedly on that one, I'm sure of that. I won't say they are wrong, just mistaken. He spoke his mind and let the chips fall where they may. He certainly wasn't concerned with being popular. I would say he was a presence. It was up to you to decide if that presence was good or bad. As I said Gramp didn't have a diplomatic bone in his body, but he was honest. Can they co-exist ? Diplomacy and honesty ?  I just don't know about that.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment