Just Me

Just Me
Look,I'm just sayin'

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

inquiring mind

 This week is the homecoming dance. My grandson will be attending for the second time. There is much hoopla surrounding this event. Now I graduated in 1971 and don't remember ever having a homecoming dance. I am somewhat puzzled by this. I keep asking myself, did we ? I really don't know the answer. I recall the senior Banquet, the junior prom, the soph hop and the freshman frolic. No homecoming dance though. Could be I just wasn't paying attention. I wasn't much on going to dances and such. I didn't hang out with the "in " crowd. I wasn't in a clique, more like a clack ! I also do not recall having ever attended a pep rally, although I know such were held. It is my understanding a large bonfire was lit and the Southampton " player " burned in effigy. I'm thinking that isn't politically correct anymore. I wonder when that tradition ended, if indeed it has ended.
 When it comes to this tradition of homecoming I am woefully uninformed. I read on Wikipedia about it. Spirit week generally precedes the homecoming dance. I think my granddaughter has mentioned this. From reading that article I can assume there is to be a big football game this Friday night. I guess it is like when my school played our biggest rival Southampton. I'll have to ask about that. My grandson Mark plays soccer, not football, so I don't know anything about that either. Guess I am living in a different cloud than most. Well, some things never change. I was never too much on the social scene. That I believe is the result of not participating in after school activities. I'm not certain why I didn't, but have a few theories about that. I view the past as I would read a book, to understand it. You can't change the story though. I don't spend much time lamenting what could have been. And my recent pet peeve is those that want to blame the past for what they do today. You know what I mean ?
 So much depends on where you were raised. The local traditions and activities that you take for granted. Food, language and to a degree dress are all effected. Farmers, fishermen, tradesmen and businessmen are all dependent upon the environment. Do you love the country or does the city excite you ? In more recent years the popularity of the " redneck " has enjoyed favor. " Rednecks " are the true Americans. That is the message being sent now. Of course those same " good ole boys " engage in all sorts of activities that years back would be considered very wrong. Even the music has changed to a more contemporary beat ! Oh they still sing about Momma, but Momma is riding a motorcycle ! So right now it is good to be country. Where I was raised the city folks had all the money and were a necessary evil. They were handy for getting money, but not worth much else. The city was a dangerous place to go but filled with illicit entertainment. It was a temptation to a country boy. I expect that hasn't changed a great deal in some parts of the country. My " country " isn't country anymore by all accounts. Do they have a homecoming dance ?  Is it a continuation of a tradition or did that begin after '71 ?  I'm sure some of you will know the answer. I'll wait for it.