Sunday, November 10, 2013

What If

For about two years I worked at Cunning Interiors on Main Street in East Hampton. I was an apprentice upholsterer using my G.I. benefits. I received a set amount of money every month I completed a set number of hours. There was a book that required the bosses signature for verification of hours worked and skills learned. It was an excellent deal. In the end I was to receive a certificate of completion and certification as a drapery and upholstery measure man, the official government title for the job. As it turned out I never did receive that certificate as I returned to active duty just about a month short of the completion date. No matter, I still have the skill.
This was back in the mid 1970's. Different attitudes prevailed. Doing this type of work as a younger man lead some to have suspicions about your orientation. A word that meant something totally different back then. It just meant your position in space. Suffice to say it wasn't considered the most manly of job choices. I did enjoy the work and have often wished I had stayed with it. It was satisfying.
The majority of people having their furniture recovered and custom draperies made were quite wealthy. I went to and often met with these people. Some were celebrities and some just rich. In my observation most paid little attention to me, or my co-workers beyond telling us what they wanted. After that, you are dismissed. Not that that bothered me a whole lot, but I just found them to be a bit unfriendly or should I say not very cordial. Some were rude.
It was a good time in my life and I think often about it. I think about the what ifs. I had a chance to purchase the entire business. What if. I could have stayed and worked for another company. What if. I could have purchased two houses, one from my parents and one from my sister. What if. But in the end when I look back I see the mistakes I made as well. Perhaps that was the purpose of that time. To get past the foolishness. I did some very foolish things. I had completed four years of active duty in the Navy, but was far from mature. It was what I thought of as " mature " choices that precipitated my return the to the Navy. I won't go as far as to say it was a mistake, I'm proud of my service and the benefits I have earned are certainly beneficial, but it did come as a result of poor choices. Well, that is part of life isn't it ? The learning curve.
The past is the past. It is fun and sometimes melancholy to look back. We cannot change what was. That is the real beauty of life. Tomorrow. New days, new choices to be made the game isn't over. Now the question remains, What If ?

No comments:

Post a Comment