Monday, November 18, 2013

Grandparents

I was talking with my Mom when the subject of Grandmas came up. She, of course, has reached Great Grandmother status and so can speak expertly on the subject. My Mom was the youngest of ten children. She remarked to me how old she thought her Mom looked to her when she was growing up. A little old lady with grey hair,a stooped back and always wearing a house dress and apron. She said her Mom never wore makeup or lipstick that she was aware of. Grandma was forty when my Mom was born. I remember Grandma being in her seventies. She looked seventy too. I don't say that to be mean, but as an observation. On September 16,1929 my Mom was born. The next day, her eldest sister Edith had a son. Remarkable, probably not that uncommon for the times. Her sister, my Aunt Edith was nineteen. And so my Mom grew up with a grandmother for a mother.
I believe most of us growing up think of our parents as old. They act old, they are always calling us kids and they look old. Let's face it, they are old. Age is all relevant. It is only we get some years on us that we begin to change our opinion of what is old. I'm sixty and that ain't old ! Grandparents now, they are old ! Your parents parents. The idea of it is almost incomprehensible to a five year old. Grandchildren tend to think that Grandparents where just born being a grandparent. They were never young ! Even now, it brings a smile to my face to consider that possibility. Grandma out on a date ? Really ? Back then it wasn't even dating, it was courtin', looking for a husband. The idea of dating just for the fun of it ? What, no way Grandma did that.
The only grandparents I knew where older people. My moms' mom was in her seventies, and her husband had passed away. My father was raised by his Grandfather and that was the only Grandparents I knew from his side of the family. Gramp, as I called him, was in his eighties. The grandparents I knew where the grandparents you would think of from a Norman Rockwell picture. Stereotypical Grandparents. Old.
That is my perspective on it.
I wonder if the kids of today, my own and their children, will share this same view ? I don't think so, after all, I'm not that old. I am pretty active and play games with them, physical games like tennis,basketball and soccer. My Grandparents certainly never did anything remotely close to that. As far as the lady Grandmas I know, they certainly don't resemble any that I remember. The Grandmas of today are quite different. There mode of dress is a stark contrast to days of old. Hair color,makeup and all that is being used for sure. I'm not seeing many orthopedic shoes. Yes I would say the Grandmas of today would not be painted by Norman Rockwell in the same way. I don't think Norman would even know that style !
We are living longer,healthier lives that much is undeniable. I hope we live long enough to gain the one thing the grandparents of old all seemed to possess, wisdom. It always seems like there is a trade off to be made for anything gained. Quality for quantity. Well maybe we haven't gained there wisdom just yet, but there is nothing that says you can't look good doing it. Not that I've noticed personally you understand, I only have eyes for one Grandma, but these Grandmas today, well I'll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment