Thursday, November 7, 2013

The ultimate Luxury

There was an article on the evening news about Ray Lewis ( retired NFL player ) and others that have filed a lawsuit against BB&T Banking. Apparently a financial consultant under their employ was playing fast and loose with the money. ( pun intended ) Ray Lewis alleges a loss of over 3.7 million dollars. This person forged signatures on documents to authorize the expenditure of funds for investment. I did not catch all the details on the hows and whys. I admit I got distracted by my own thoughts. Just how do you lose 3.7 million dollars without noticing ? I mean, seriously, you have so much money that you pay someone else to watch it for you ? I can understand perhaps hiring a professional to do the investing part, but wouldn't I receive a statement from the bank concerning these transactions ? I really have no idea. Maybe when you have millions and millions you just don't pay attention to it. I do not have that luxury.
I guess that must be the ultimate luxury of all. To have so much money that you need not be concerned with everyday finances. Isn't that the dream of every man ? For some though the acquisition of wealth is a lifetime pursuit. No matter the amount they accumulate the desire is for more. That is something I do not understand. I sure would like to have a vast fortune, but once acquired, I would just stop to enjoy it. No more working for me. I surely would not allow anyone else to access that money. In this case it was done illegally, without the knowledge of these men, but they did allow access. They trusted the Bank and this man to manage their investments. My question is, why invest ? That is the part I don't understand. If I already have millions is that not enough ? I think it would be. In all honesty though I will never know for sure unless I am somehow in that position. Somebody give me a million or so and I'll let you know how it turns out.
I'm sure I'll hear more about this case as times goes on. Ray Lewis is a local hero with the Baltimore Ravens. I'll catch more of the details. In the meantime I am publicly stating that no one but my wife and I can withdraw more than a million at a time for any purpose ! That way I can keep an eye of things. I'm thinking that maybe these guys should have hired me, I'd watch their balance for them and tell them how to spend it. I'd do it pretty cheap too ! I mean really, you have so much money you can't even be bothered counting it once a month !
Yes the ultimate luxury would be to have that much money. It is only in the amount of that money that this luxury exists. The amount is dependent upon your desires and not your needs. What do you want, compared to what do you need. The ultimate luxury exists in contentment. Money is only a tool in obtaining that goal. And yes we are allowed to become contented. It is a luxury we earn. Isn't that the premise of retirement ?

No comments:

Post a Comment