Friday, November 22, 2013

Forgiveness

Once again I turn on the news to hear about a disgraced congressman. This time it is Florida congressman Trey Radel. Arrested for purchasing cocaine , there is no doubt about his guilt. He has already faced a judge and received his punishment. He was sentenced to one year of probation, for what in D.C., is a misdemeanor drug charge. He is now taking a leave of absence to enter a rehab facility. He says he will give his salary to charity during this time.
I realize that these elected officials are only human like you and I. They make mistakes and do bad things. They have weaknesses. I watched this man standing at the microphone apologizing for his actions. What struck me was his attitude. He did seem a bit contrite, but a little defiant as well. What he was saying was that all he asked for was forgiveness. The issue I have is that he expects it, almost demands it, as some sort of right. I had to ask myself a question. Should forgiveness just be given or should it be earned ? Does not Jesus say, ask and you shall be forgiven ? At the same time is not repentance necessary ? Is penance a prerequisite to that forgiveness ?
On one level I do think he should be removed from office. If I were to be convicted of drug usage I would certainly lose my commercial drivers license. With other occupations that are subject to drug testing, that would also be the result. This man violated a sacred trust. A trust between himself and all those that voted for him. Those that walk the halls of congress should be held to a higher standard, don't you think ? I can't help but feel that in the current climate one can do just about anything, just say I'm sorry, receive some form of treatment and that is that. This leave of absence is being funded by you and I. His giving it to charity does not change the disbursement of those funds. That doesn't make it aright. If I fraudulently obtain money from you, but give it to someone else, does that exonerate me from the crime ? I don't think so.
Now I'm not saying he shouldn't be given a second chance. What I am saying is he should have to pay the consequences of his first actions. I think he should be removed from office. Following his successful completion of whatever treatment and therapy he becomes eligible again. For me, he would have to demonstrate that he is deserving of my trust once again. It is incumbent upon him to restore my confidence in him. Being held fully accountable for your actions is not a form of persecution. It is prosecution.
I do think that forgiveness should be given, but not asked for. Is that not the function of mercy ? Mercy begets forgiveness. Do they regret the deed or regret being caught ? It is either extreme weakness or extreme arrogance that leads someone to jeopardize their position. Should it make a difference in the punishment which one it is ?  Should it make a difference in the granting of forgiveness ?
These are all tough ethical questions. Questions that test our judicial system and our faith. For me I think you should have to do your penance first and pray for forgiveness. Forgiveness must be earned. Mercy may be granted. Therapy for a problem should not constitute forgiveness for the problem. The therapy is to correct the issue, punishment is the penance.

No comments:

Post a Comment