Friday, November 8, 2013

Authors

It has been suggested to me that I write a book. Kind and flattering words and I appreciate the sentiment. I do think we all have a story to tell. I do enjoy writing and remembering. As anyone reading these blog postings know I will write about just about anything. I can be opinionated. Hopefully I offer some food for thought.
All this attention  and encouragement sent me to a website about publishing a book. I am a little embarrassed to admit that, but I did. I began reading about the process involved. First thing is they tell me I need an editor. Ok, what is the job of the editor ? I read a little further to discover that the editor will read my manuscript and suggest changes, corrections or even provide ideas. I immediately bristled at reading that. I do not want someone suggesting changes to my story. Tell me if I am spelling the word wrong or using it incorrectly but not changing the plot. The cost of this is considerable as well. I did see one that advertises editorial services for one penny a word. I can only assume those editors will encourage lengthy manuscripts !
I continued to read about the process and it is a long one. As with most things it is not as straightforward as one might think. There is the option to self publish as well. That just doesn't seem right to me somehow. If I just pay someone to publish my book I don't think that counts. I mean if you went by that standard everyone could be a published author. No I guess I thought you just submitted your book and they either agreed to publish it or not. I figured the company would want to maybe dress it up a little and design a cover for you but this editor stuff I'm not sure of. It just seems like I should write it all on my own without help of any kind. My words, my phrasing and my ideas.
I guess all authors have editors. At least that is what I am reading. Just part of the process I suppose. Companies publish books to make a profit after all. I hadn't really considered that part of it. I am only concerned with the creative aspect. I want to create it not have someone else tell me how to do it. I'll call it artistic integrity. There are starving artists, we hear about them all the time, so I'll be a starving author. Such is the fate of the true artist. Maybe my words will be published after my passing. That would be alright too.

No comments:

Post a Comment