Friday, November 15, 2013

And the beat goes on

It has been this way for a while but I just thought about it. We no longer have to spin it, to listen to music. We did ever since Edison invented his wax discs. We had records, in four different speeds. Do you remember the numbers ? It was fun to change the speed while listening too. Then we had eight track tapes, they didn't spin around but certainly were moving. Same with cassette tapes. Compact disc ushered us into the age of digital music but they were back to spinning and spinning really fast. Somehow the records and tapes and even the cd's made sense because they were moving. Now these flash drives or I-Pad things, whatever they call them, have no moving parts ! Nothing is moving at all so just how does the music work ? Ah, what does it matter I don't even want to think about it.
We played the records backwards at times to hear the hidden messages. We played them faster to get that chipmunk sound. Sometimes they would get stuck and we had to nudge the needle, a stylus if it was a Hi-Fi set. The hip hop boys use the record for some kind of sound generating thing. I'm not even sure of the purpose of that back and forth scratching the record motion. Seems to me that is about the only way I see records being used anymore.
I like music. I've always had a device to play music on. I started with 45 RPM records and long play albums. I have progressed through all the technical changes. I never did collect records of any kind. I just bought them, listened to them and pretty much was done with them. I've got cd's around here somewhere. They sit collecting dust. Now it is You Tube. That is the way I go. I can listen to anything at anytime. For music on the go I still just use the radio. If I where to be going a lot I would get that XM radio I hear about.
I remember asking people if they bought the record. Now you ask if they got the download. Things change and technology moves forward. The music is still playing anyway and will continue to do so. Records did have there drawbacks, they got scratched or broken but they had an advantage over everything that has come along since, with the right player you could just wind it up. The record would spin and music would play. There is no hand crank on an I-Pod. No moving parts ? Humm, it's like magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment