Sunday, November 3, 2013

Lucretia Lester

    Lucretia Lester of Southold, Long Island, who practiced midwifery from 1745 until 1779 was "respected as nurse and doctoress to the pains and infirmities incident to her fellow mortals, especially her own sex. She was . . . conspicuous as an Angel of Mercy; a woman whose price was above rubies. It is said that she attended the birth of 1300 children, and of that number, lost but two . . . ." (From: http://www.thehistorynet.com/WomensHistory/articles/19965_cover.htm)

In my genealogy research I ran across this small article. The Lester name was of interest as I have Lester's in the tree. This lady does not appear to be on any of my branches. Still I thought it noteworthy. She must have been a legend in her own time. The number of children that she delivered is staggering and should you be able to count their descendants I can barely fathom the number it would be. How many lives did she touch ? And it says she was a " doctoress " a new term to me. I surmised it meant a female doctor and that is correct. Google says it was listed in Websters dictionary in 1914. Funny, how they were, what we would consider sexist, in their terms. Perhaps, but an apt description nonetheless. 
This lady was doctoring before the revolutionary war and continued until well after. Did she treat the wounds received in that war ? There is certainly a possibility that she did. Given the conventions of the day, she must have felt some discrimination. Proud men demanding a male doctor. Funny too, how to this day, we generally think of doctors as men. Stereotypical ? It would seem so. Statistics show that by 2017 there will be more female doctors than male in the United States. The debate rages on, whether women and men doctor differently. The whole sexist attitude thing I suppose.
I love finding these little notes in history. These small pieces to give us a glimpse of real life. The history books tell us the big story and general attitudes. To read this about a lady, who was after all not in possession of what they would have called " bonafides " to receive such acknowledgement and accolades speaks to her skill. How many times was the call sent out for " Mrs Lester " if that is what she was called. I don't know if there was another doctor in the area where she served her people. Perhaps she was all they had. From that brief description the inhabitants of Southold, my own ancestors included, were fortunate to have her. It may be she delivered some of my own ancestors and my presence could be attributed to her. 
I especially like the line, " a women whose price was above rubies ". What a show of the value they placed upon her. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the same could be said for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment