Monday, November 25, 2013

A Hallmark Holiday

I have often thought it would be wonderful to have a Hallmark holiday. You know what I mean. Relatives flying in from all over the country. Arriving a day ahead of time and staying in their old bedrooms or bunking in the guestrooms. That happens in the Hallmark holidays because you have a huge house. Aunts and Uncles, brothers and cousins all gathered together. And one is an addict and another turns to the lord. Excitement,drama and a happy ending ! Now that is the formula for a Hallmark Holiday ! No one has money problems in these scenarios, no one has to rush back to work and no one ever gets in any serious trouble. It is always a hoot and a holiday to remember.
After thinking about that for a while I just laugh and remember how mine have usually gone. Over the years, with my parents and with my own family, I have never had more than a couple guests. As a kid at home it might be an Aunt and Uncle. Thinking back, that is all I can remember about anyone else being there, We certainly never had anyone fly into town and stay with us. No guestrooms at my house. I have had my own children and their wives over for Thanksgiving. That's about as close as it gets around here.
This year it is going to be a little different. My wife and I are driving to upstate New York to have Thanksgiving with my son Kenny and his wife. He purchased a new home this past year and we are going to celebrate with him. So, this is going to be a Hallmark holiday for us. He even has a guest room. We are taking Mark and Morgan, our grandchildren, with us as well. They are anxious to visit with their cousin and see New York. Yup, just like on TV. Maybe we'll even play " I Spy " in the car on the way up.
I do hope that there is little to no drama involved. Seems like that always happens in those movies on television but I figure that is Hollywood. Wouldn't be very entertaining without it. No, I'm hoping for a day of watching football and eating ! Food and Football sounds like a good plan to me. We are staying Friday so that day will be for everything else.
I do feel a little anxious about the whole thing. I have never driven any distance on a holiday weekend or in this case during the week. I have never just showed up anywhere without bringing something. I have been instructed to not bring any food of any kind with me. They want to do the whole thing. I understand that, they are excited to be hosting this Hallmark Holiday ! It is their time to show their new home and be the stars. I'm happy for them. Looks like I am going to have that holiday I often thought about. I can't wait. Hope that there are no big " reveals " though. No plot twists or hidden agendas. I better quit thinking about it, I'm getting nervous. LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment