Thursday, November 21, 2013

Candles and Christmas

I was a member of St. Luke's Episcopal church throughout my childhood. It is the church I was baptized in and took my first communion. I was a member of the junior choir and went on to serve as an acolyte. I have many fond memories of that church and the fellowship that was there. As the Christmas season is close upon us I was thinking about how we always decorated the church. A large group of us would meet in the evening and put everything up. Parents and children all working together. The  layout was always the same. It did look beautiful.
It was at this time of the year we also had a candlelight service. We called it the Festival of Lights. At the end of the service each one of us left with a lighted candle. The object was to try to get it home still lighted. Two or three kids in a car with lighted candles was always a bit of a challenge, but we managed it. It is a good memory.
It is funny how I did this every year as a child, but remember so little about it. Exactly what day we did it I don't recall. That this Festival of Lights is a Jewish holiday I don't recall being told. I only knew the Jewish people lit a candle a night for Hanukkah. That the service took place in the evening I know because it was always dark going home. And that is about all I remember.
Another little memory was going Christmas caroling. The church had a bus and we went to various homes and retirement centers. I think I only went two or three times. I do remember that following the caroling we went back to the church hall and had hot chocolate and cookies.
Finally I can remember going to Jesus's birthday party. We all assembled in the hall for cake and ice cream. Santa Claus made his appearance and every child there got a present. It was an amazing thing to a child when Santa called your name. We all sang Christmas carols and of course, Happy Birthday. Seems like I remember also getting a small box of hard candy. A box like one animal crackers came in, with a little string handle. Also for some reason Oranges come to mind.
It was a wonderful time of year. I wonder if the church carries on those traditions today. Does Santa still come ? Is there a birthday party ? Ah, childhood memories make me smile. We had candles to take home and candles on the birthday cake. Candles are forever linked to Christmas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment