Tuesday, February 5, 2013

World Champions

Having never been much of a football fan I haven't really supported any one team. In high school I liked the New York jets mostly because of Broadway Joe Namath. I thought the white shoes were pretty cool and I liked his attitude. Beyond that I just went with the home team. Now living in Maryland, and close to Baltimore, I support the Ravens. Funny little aside here. I got my grandson, Mark, to be a huge New York Yankees fan. My son asked me to support the Ravens because he was afraid I would get Mark to support another team. LOL And so, I'm a fan of the Ravens. And now the Ravens are the Super Bowl Champions.
Second time,too. I hear them called the World Champions as well.
Thinking about that I had to chuckle. World Champions ? What teams from other nations did we defeat to earn that title ? At least in Baseball we do have teams from Canada. The arrogance of us Americans. We invent a sport, play it, and then declare ourselves world champions. I don't think we do that in basketball though. Can't remember those teams being referred to as world champions.
To us, the United States is the world. I understand that. The world is getting smaller every day though and soon we will be forced to realize that,even in our sports. We are trying to make our presence known in World Cup soccer. We do loom large in the Olympic games. That is where world championships are won.
I guess world champions just sounds better than United States Champions. And so we call our teams World Champions.
Whatever the case, congratulations to the Ravens. To all the other teams,better luck next year. We are the World Champions ! If there any other countries in the world that wish to challenge for that title,bring it on !

No comments:

Post a Comment