Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What is fair ?

Writing these blogs has become a journey not only of self expression, but of self learning. I was reminded of that just yesterday. I read a posting about a group of Wicca that felt they had been insulted by Fox news. Seems as though a college in Missouri agreed to not schedule exams on what they considered a holiday. The Wiccans that is. Fox news did a piece on it and made an unfavorable commentary. My initial reaction was, " Whatever. " Shortly there after I did realize that, that attitude was wrong of me. I had dismissed their beliefs out of hand. Wicca, (witches and warlocks) deserve the same respect as any other group in their religious practices. Just because I do not subscribe to their practice doesn't make it irrelevant.
I will say I defend their right to be whatever they want to be, and practice their faith accordingly.  Being a Christian, I am firm in that faith system. I can understand their anger, I would be as well. I can also see this becoming somewhat of a problem. If we start recognizing, by giving time off or special consideration to every fringe religious group there is, the scheduling of life may become very complicated indeed. I would then have to say, it is going to be all or nothing. That is the only fair and equitable response.
It is my contention, and always will be, that we are a Christian nation. I have participated in many heated debates on this topic. The primary argument against this is the separation of Church and State. In my estimation that just means the State ( Government) can not force me to practice any one religion or persecute me for my religious beliefs in any way. We can only observe ( officially that is ) a certain number of holidays. The choice of those holidays should be the choice of the majority. To adhere to that policy is not to disparage any other group. To put it simply, you cannot please all the people all the time. But to say we will only officially observe Christian holidays is somewhat bigoted. A quandary. I can only say a government without any moral or ethical guidelines IE: a faith based system is doomed to failure. We all require structure and guidance in our lives.
This incident is just a speck in the news. An opportunity for a group to bring their ideas to the forefront. Possible litigation may follow. A lawyer has been contacted to take the case. But can you sue for recognition and/or validity ? Apparently so. So sue me, I don't think stating my opinion is a basis for a lawsuit. Was it politically incorrect ? Probably. Criminal ? No. Get over it, you got your holiday didn't you ? That doesn't mean I have to observe it or your religion any more than you have to observe mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment